Various Gaskets on Summit D6 - Replace? And if yes, recommended replacement part?

Kris Pfeiffer

TVWBB Member
Greetings.

Indeed, I'm on what seems like the home stretch in swapping out my bad firebox for the new one I received from Weber last year.

The gas valves work ok - I wanted to service them per the great video posted here, but those screws are just awful. Considering they're working ok, I'll skip that.

BUT...does it make sense to replace the red (I think they're silicone high temp) gaskets/washers that sit between the valve body and the manifold? They seem like they're in decent shape, but hey, as long as I'm doing this, I thought it may be something I should do?

Also, that big rubber washer thing that sits on top of each valve is pretty much destroyed. Is that important? I think I read that's just to protect the valve from water, etc. That, too, I can't find.

If anybody has experience, suggestions, and even better - ideas to find the equivalent parts for these - please let me know.

Thanks all,
Kris

The big rubber washer thing is important as it keeps dirt/debris and water out of the valve stem. I've worked on my brother's Summit of that generation and don't remember seeing any of the other things you mention

I probably explained it poorly.

The red thing. And yeah, that's all that's left of that big rubber washer thing.

View attachment 88442
As long as it's not dry, brittle or damaged in any away. Re-use would be fine. If damaged, I doubt you will find exact replacements. You will need to go to a place like our Menards or Farm & Fleet that sells loose O Rings of various sizes or maybe stop by a Hazard Fraught and buy one of those large boxes of O Rings and find some that fit. I did not take my brother's apart that far

I agree with Larry. Those red gaskets are important, but replacements will likely be tough to find. They seal the valve to the manifold, so you don't want any leaks, but if they are in good shape, I would reuse them. The bigger gray ones on the valve stems (usually gray) are necessary to keep water, grease, dirt and whatever out of the actual valve, so make sure those are in place before you put it all back together.

I suggest posting on the Buy Sell Trade section here on TVWBB asking for the number of gray silicone valve protectors you need. I might be able to help after April 15, but I am in tax preparation prison right now. These are pretty commonly held in stock by restorers, so maybe someone else can help you with replacements.

Thanks. I'm sure I can fashion something using a sheet of rubber from the hardware store for the big one. While at the hardware store I'll check to see if there's a gasket available. If not, I'll reuse them. It's a great hardware store, so they may just have something.

You are going to want to use something fairly resistant to heat. I think the original ones are made of a high heat silicone, like the stuff you can bake stuff in.

I tried to source those washers for my SilverB without any luck.....

If all else fails --- I was planning on going 'old school' and make my own 'gas' washers out of leather..... from an old leather wallet that I keep for that very purpose..... Use a right sized washer as a template to cut it out - then soak them in oil for a while and cover them with grease when you install. I would say 'last resort' --- its better than not having one or using one of questionable integrity.

Hey - there's an idea - @Bruce I have a Lodge cast iron skillet handle made of silicone - I was just about to throw it away because one end is really worn. There's plenty of material left on the thing that I can fashion a gasket from.

Back