Using your smoker in the cooler months in New England

To start, check this page out that Chris has on tips for bad weather Cooking:
Cold weather cooking
A lot of good tips from the "tabs" on the top of this page.
Wind is the biggest issue IMO. Some use a hot water heater wrap from Home Depot/Lowes, some build really nice wind blocks. Check the Modification section for more info.
Have fun, don't let cold/windy weather stop you. Minus 7 wind chill has been my lowest cook.
icon_biggrin.gif

This is my third winter with the wsm. I haven't put it away yet. Last year I built a wind block and haven't looked back. The first winter I had nothing and used a lot charcoal on windy days. Didn't really have problems holding temps as I recall. I think the biggest asset is something to block the wind.

I did 2 briskets last weekend in the snow, and below freezing temps. No problem keeping a 250-260 dome temp with no windscreen or anything. WG-WEW lump, oak and cherry. Thinking I may just fire up to do fatties this weekend.

It's all about the wind. I usually wait until I know it's not going to be windy and then I cook. Haven't used a wind break yet. I do have a water heater blanket (as mentioned above) just in case I need it (like when I do a rib cook on New Years and have family coming over). Some day I'm gonna build a wind break. Cold in and of itself is not really an issue. I've been out on some 10º days and the wsm holds temp just fine.

Dave,
The foil-sided (both sides) water heater insulation blanket is perfect for this. I smoke all-nighters in below freezing temps and have found that the blanket is awesome! I do not wrap it against the smoker. If you are using Digital Temperature probes though, be careful, the contacts in the transmitting components will freeze. Place them in a insulated cooler! I learned that one the hard way!! That was also when I learned to NOT wrap the blanket completely around the whole cooker - got way to hot!! Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Gogolinski:
The problem I see is finding charcoal. BJ's doesn't carry any now and the grocery stores don't stock it any more either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have a Costcos around that you can get into? They have it year round here. Wall Mart has fuel all winter also here. I have also seen it at Home Depot during the winter months here. Good luck in your search. Next year when Home Depot and Lowes has the K-ford on sale at Labor day, stock up with 300 pounds or so. When I used it, I would buy 8 twin packs then.

I actually smoke more in the winter than in the summer here in lovely new england.

Only difference from smoking in the summer and winter is the type of shoe I wear when I walk out to the smoker. Flip flops get a bit cold in the snow.

kidding aside, the smoker works just as well in the winter as summer. The cold is far less of an issue than wind. I smoke in a huge snowfalls without even a hint of problem.

We're cooking in the smoker here on the edge of the Chesapeake Bay today. It's been wind 25-35 with higher gust and rain off and on all day. Started the ribs about 10 this morning. Put the WSM in the most sheltered corner of the deck and it seems to be doing great.

Back