Using the cylinder in the cabinet?

Andy Drummond

Quick and stupid question - I've just got a Spirit E-210. The instructions imply it's OK to cook with a 5kg cylinder inside the barbecue cabinet, but this is contrary to what our local Weber dealer told us. Which is right?

Thanks,

Andy

The only concern I can see is if you have a leak and the cabinet fills up with propane. The chances of that happening are probably slim to none or the Weber attorneys would have put a warning in the manual.

A couple of points:

1. I would believe Weber's factory booklet long before I'd believe a local salesman.

2. Ever wonder why there are so many holes in gas grills and their related cabinets? It's so you don't blow yourself up. Notice how on a charcoal grill you can shut off all air, but on gas you can't? Manufacturers don't want gas to accumulate if you inadvertently leave the gas on or a burner goes out. Any cabinet I've seen is pretty well ventilated too.

2. Ever wonder why there are so many holes in gas grills and their related cabinets? It's so you don't blow yourself up. Notice how on a charcoal grill you can shut off all air, but on gas you can't? Manufacturers don't want gas to accumulate if you inadvertently leave the gas on or a burner goes out. Any cabinet I've seen is pretty well ventilated too.

It's not gas leaking I'm worried about; it's the cylinder getting too hot.

Back