Using Tape to Foil the Water Pan?

John-Peterson

TVWBB Fan
While dreaming for my WSM to get here. I was thinking about the "Foiling of the Water Pan". When I went to Sams Club last week, the widest HD Aluminum Foil they had was 18". Since mine is a 22" this presents a problem. Im not sure, but I though I read that even folding seams, water still gets through to the pan.

Then I thought, I wonder if anyone has tried the foil tape used on ductwork? It seems like it would work. Especially if you have made a decent seam on the foil itself. Any thoughts?

Im not sure that I really care, about foiling the water pan. But since Im in Wisconsin, cleaning in the winter does present a problem. Summertime is no big deal, as I can clean it in the yard.

Hey John, I don't use water in the pan anymore, I simply use two sheets of foil to cover the bottom of the water pan, then one smaller sheet of foil to cover the top of the pan, forming a shallow bowl with the foil to catch any drippings.
I have also put a terracotta flowerpot saucer inside the water pan then sealed the top the same.
This method I find is quick and easy.

Hi John... I thought about using that tape last summer but decided not to because I wasn't too keen of subjecting the adhesive of the tape to heat. Not sure of the chemical content and its effects on food for consumption. Just "playing" safe...

joe

Jim's post reminded me that I forgot to tell you I don't use any water in the pan. I also use a clay saucer covered w/ foil.

joe

The 18" will work if you use a couple of sheets if you double fold the sheets together.

I would think that getting tape off the pan after a cook would be a tough job.

I actually meant just taping the seam of the folded foil, not the actual pan. I to thought about the whole adhesive thing with the tape. Just wondring what others thought.

I usually wrap my bowl with the narrow foil from left to right then with wide foil in the opposite direction.

John, my experience with an 18" WSM is that stuff gets in the pan. I don't know whether the foil is microscopically porous or what but I always have stuff leaking into the pan. No biggy. Just takes a few minutes to clean out. I wouldn't use any tape. A little stuff in the pan is minor to the great BBQ you're going to turn out. I'm getting philosophical here. Don't sweat the small stuff
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have never foiled my pan ever. When I use water in the pan cleanup of the pan takes only one minute. When I don't use water in the pan I must soak the pan a few minutes and spent a whole two minutes scrubbing it. I believe its a waste of time and foil. I also never foil any of my foods unless I'm reheating Q in the oven. With tape I would be very concernd about chemicals in he adhesive.

FWIW, i used some HVAC tape on the legs of my Weber kettle where it mounts to the underside of the grill because the legs kept falling out. After a couple of cooks the adhesive from the tape liquified and started running down the legs and created a goopy mess. I would steer clear from using it where food could be exposed.

Back