Using lump charcoal in a weber kettle?

Just my 2 centsmin, have used the lump coal as well as the Bricketts, i had a Kamado, and weber kettles (3) after few years of using most they both have their advantages. BUT and to me this is MOO i like the Bricketts better,and now use the new Kings Competion Bricketts.The lump gets hotter but doesn't last long as the Bricketts. So thats my 2 cents worth lol
jerry

i stick to to regular charcoal usually. been using stubs for the last 2 years.

Tried lump in my performer years ago but so many cinders snapped up onto the food that I finished the bag in my smoker, tried 3 cooks to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong. I stick to briquets

Tried lump in my performer years ago but so many cinders snapped up onto the food that I finished the bag in my smoker, tried 3 cooks to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong. I stick to briquets
I would bet all my money on the crackles and snaps that it was the brand of charcoal itself.....
I bought a bag of Kamado Joe big block or whatever it was called and the whole bag did that like it was on steroids.
My basic rule to follow.........if the charcoal is really shiny and it looks like the wood is separating then it will probably be all snappy and poppy like fire works........I look forward to using a matte looking charcoal, and it burns super clean.....not sure if the shiny stuff is over dried?????
Anyways JD lump 98% of the time has that matte look to it, every once in a while you get a piece or 3 that will crackle n pop.
I was so upset at the Kamado Joe stuff I took a video and tried to upload it here but apparently I am mildly technologically impaired.
I firmly believe you get what you pay for....top dollar charcoal for my intended uses are worth the extra squeeze.
I wouldn't eliminate the lump in the performer if I was you.....It is the only thing I use in mine 100%.

BAD

1691150662208.png

GOOD

1691150579469.png

Attachments

• 1691150564082.png
    1691150564082.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 3
The guy there told me not to use lump charcoal in my kettle because the steel is too thin and it can't take the temperatures. At that point, I stopped using lump and switched to exclusively using briquettes.
That guy was just full of it, right?

I was once cooking steaks for a crowd on my Performer.

I got it screaming hot. I got it so hot that I melted the thermoplastic roller on the lid bail.

The steel was unaffected.

Back