Using Lower Grate

B.Lasky

TVWBB Super Fan
I've had my 14.5 for a while now and feeling confident with my cooks. I want to share them with some friends. So if I load up both grates should I rotate them from lower to top during the cook? I'm sure there is a temp difference. I do have the Brinkman rib racks.

In my 22.5 WSM, there isn't a difference between upper/lower grates. Can't say the 14 is the same or different as I don't have one. Personally, I don't think the temp difference, if any, is worth rotating from top/bottom. Typically, I'm more concerned about the outer edges verses center of the grate.

On my 18.5" WSM when using both grates I get better color on the top, so I do rotate to even things out.

Tim

Once I did a try with T probes up and down, w/water in water pan. During all the session the lower grate was 25 F less.this is my experience.

Once I did a try with T probes up and down, w/water in water pan. During all the session the lower grate was 25 F less.this is my experience.

15- 25* is a big difference, but despite that difference in temp, I find that things on the bottom rack never cook that much slower than the top rack, at least not nearly as slow as what you'd think. I find the difference in terms of how it affects the cook is the most when cooking with an empty foiled pan.

15- 25* is a big difference, but despite that difference in temp, I find that things on the bottom rack never cook that much slower than the top rack, at least not nearly as slow as what you'd think. I find the difference in terms of how it affects the cook is the most when cooking with an empty foiled pan.

Good call Dave. I should of added I only use an empty foiled pan.

Tim

I measured my 14.5 the other day with a maverick and two grill probes, the top was 50 f hotter, this was with a full water pan

I measured my 14.5 the other day with a maverick and two grill probes, the top was 50 f hotter, this was with a full water pan

Sounds like the water hadn't gotten up to temp yet. That can take a while if not starting with boiling /hot water. I don't have a 14.5, but assuming it's like the other wsm's, things on the bottom rack cook almost as quick as what's on the top rack. Biggest difference is that you'll get better bark on top rack meat.

Last edited:
I wonder why there's so much more difference between the grates on the 14.5" than the 18.5"? Chris A did some tests with a chicken on each grate in an 18.5"and found the difference between the two grates to be only about 15* on avg.

Back