Using lower grate and top grate

Grant Narita

TVWBB Fan
I am sure there is something about this on this forum, but couldn't find anything. I will probably have too many baby back ribs (or next week when I try beef ribs) to all fit on the top grate. I don't yet have a rib rack so will be laying them flat. If I use the top grate and the lower grate for the same type of ribs, will one set be done faster than the other set, or are the temperatures close enough that I don't need to worry about any time differences?

Also, about how long do sausages that are not pre-cooked take, at around 250-275? Thanks for your help.

I use an empty foiled pan and the temps are pretty close top to bottom but I get better color on the top rack, so I rotate mid-cook.
Fresh sausage at those temps should be close to an hour or so, take them to an IT of 155-160.

Tim

Instead of flat, place them upright on the long edge and stick shishkabob skewers through them to keep them upright/separated. Stagger the skewers to provide stronger support. Lose a LOT of room laying them flat.

Use cocktail toothpicks at ends if they want to flop over on their neighbour.

Last edited:
okay, thanks for the tips guys! I guess it doesn't matter which of the two grates I use then, I can still take them out at the same time, whether it's upper or lower grate that I'm using..

Grant don't miss what Tim said, rotate mid cook or so as the bottom grate can be and will be hotter than the top, by how much depends on your set up, water seasoned WSM etc.

Grant don't miss what Tim said, rotate mid cook or so as the bottom grate can be and will be hotter than the top, by how much depends on your set up, water seasoned WSM etc.

Okay, thanks. I had heard from one place that the top was hotter and someone else said the lower was hotter. I will switch them in case one is truly hotter..

I've only used both racks a couple of times but I rotated the meat halfway through the cook and my ribs turned out fine. Unless you have a temp probe on both racks it's hard to say for sure what kind of temp difference you have between the two racks. I use water in my pan so the bottom rack is probably cooler than my top. I think your set up will dictate your difference in temps the most. I finally bought a rib rack and it's made it a lot simpler now for larger cooks.

Back