Using "both" grills on WSM.

Frank Eriksen

TVWBB Super Fan
When you're using both grates on your WSM and you need to remove the top to get at the bottom, where are you placing the top grate. Table? Not ground. Cover table with foil first? Some of this sounds obvious - but just wondering...

I usually set mine on top of the charcoal chimney starter if it isn't too full and I'm not worried about the meat making it tip over. If it is full, I set a piece of foil on a wood cutting board and put it there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank Eriksen:
I was hoping to put it on the living room carpet - but the wife said no. What a grouch! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Frank, The first thing you need to do is take your Bullit outside.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I got mine bolted together, they come out of the smoker as one. I set them on a side tabe or my cook shack bench. Hmmm, I never considered using it in the house. The wife is going on vacation for a week tho and that may be an Idea???? If I want to die soon that is.

Mark

This would have been a good question for me to ask a few weeks ago. I had two butts going on the top rack and in the am I switched them to the bottom rack and put on some ribs. I was standing in my yard yelling for my wife at 6 am to come take the cover off my kettle with my hands already full.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
I keep an older wood TV tray table handy, and set the top grate on it if I have to. Easy to clean off, and I don't care if it gets damaged. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is exactly what I do. Portable yet sturdy enough for the job. I usually have a cookie sheet handy when I'm cooking so I tend to put that down on the table first. If catches the grease if there is any dripping. But like you said, I don't really care if I get anything on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
I keep an older wood TV tray table handy, and set the top grate on it if I have to. Easy to clean off, and I don't care if it gets damaged. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly. +1. Oops, sorry Jerry. +2

Ive got a $40 plastic table that I usually set up when I cook. just set it on that, has a few grill marks, but its gaining character every time I smoke!

I keep my 22.5 kettle next to it so if need be I can just take the entire top grate and put it right into the kettle, do what I need to do with the bottom grate and put it right back on top.

I just use a $40 plastic table that I got from Menards. I bought this just for grilling so I really don't care if it gets stained. I have tried to cover it with foil to keep it clean and works ok to a degree.

Lately I have used three bricks to set the lid on and also the top grate if I need to. This works pretty good and also keeps the top from melting!

If I need to clean it I just take it outback with a can of oven cleaner and a scotch brite pad. It comes out nice and clean. Here are a couple pic's. Not the best but you get the idea. Vince

DSCF0004-20.jpg

brisket036.jpg

I use just about everything mentioned above.

Small table, charcoal chimney, performer table, 22.5 in the performer, table covered.

Vince, I love the 3 brick idea. Definitely going to start that with the lid and my table.

Here is the a plastic end table I use, maybe $10 at HD.

DSC02537.jpg

I set it on the kettle grate if not in use. If kettle is unavailable then I just set it on two clean bricks and make sure the dog is inside
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_B:
I keep my 22.5 kettle next to it so if need be I can just take the entire top grate and put it right into the kettle, do what I need to do with the bottom grate and put it right back on top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 I do the exact same thing... lol.

Back