Using a winco mixing bowl as a water bowl

I knew a guy that did garbage can turkeys for his daughter’s brownie group.
He would put hot coals right on the sides of the garbage can with the bird inside of it.
He said they were very juicy and tender due to moisture being trapped inside
He thought I was a nit picker when I brought up safety concerns and I thought he was nuts exposing others peoples kids to that.
I wouldn’t even trust trying to burn all the zinc out of if first.
Sadly there’s a lot of people with that mentality

We had those in scouts but I don't recall what they used for fuel.
I remember the Frugal Gourmet ( Jeff Smith )
made one in his book but he only used a hot plate and soaked wood chips so I don't think the temp got hot enough for any off gases.
The OP might want to check out deep dish pizza pans, I had a few which are carbon steel.

He would put hot coals right on the sides of the garbage can with the bird inside of it.
He said they were very juicy and tender due to moisture being trapped inside
He thought I was a nit picker when I brought up safety concerns and I thought he was nuts exposing others peoples kids to that.
I wouldn’t even trust trying to burn all the zinc out of if first.
The zinc is the galvanizing. If one burns off the zinc, the underlying steel will rust, and heat will accelerate that rusting. As someone else mentioned, porcelain coated steel seems like the best option, for a water pan, that is.

Last edited:
In regards to trash can turkey, I did run across this statement from the Scout Shop's web page on cooking a trash can turkey:

"Before you start cooking the turkey, you MUST pre-burn the trash can to burn off the galvanization (if you only have a galvanized trash can) because nobody wants heavy metal poisoning. We built a fire inside the can, then used a blower on the lowest setting to help oxygenate the fire and allow it to burn faster and hotter."

The Boy Scouts' own online site recognizes the risk.

A younger Steven Tyler on a good day?
I’m a fan but I do remember Aerosmith having to restart their first song three times in 1976 at the CowPalace.
I now realize it could have been that heavy metal turkey stuff going around.
Heck ya never know, I might have even inhaled some of that myself 🤷‍♂️.

Be sure to let us know how it went!

Just to state the obvious, the bottom and top vents help control the temp as well. Typically most will leave the top open the adjust the bottom three.

Some try to ride it down to the degree but that's just frustrating. Close or open the vents by a half - i.e., if they were full open, close 1 or 2 to half-way closed then give it a few to see if it goes back to desired temp. 25 degree swings are common, more if it's a long cook.

Be sure to let us know how it went!

Just to state the obvious, the bottom and top vents help control the temp as well. Typically most will leave the top open the adjust the bottom three.

Some try to ride it down to the degree but that's just frustrating. Close or open the vents by a half - i.e., if they were full open, close 1 or 2 to half-way closed then give it a few to see if it goes back to desired temp. 25 degree swings are common, more if it's a long cook.
About 2.5 hours in sitting at 241. Will be wrapping in foil soon. I have all vents closed on the bottom. Top is about 50%

I'd be wary of metal (fume) fever. When exposed to high heat, galvanized steel can give off zinc oxide fumes, which are not healthy to breathe. You may end up with just a headache, or in other instances, flu-like symptoms.
Good point I did not take this into consideration, finding a close shape in stainless, or carbon Steel would be much better, after a burn off.

Try this link. Looks to be the right one.

Says 14.75 wide. Also marked 13Q.

Chris' link led me to the wrong one too..

Let us know if this results in the correct one. If so, email Chris and give him the good link.

Your welcome!

finally got my order today, after ordering this on june 20th from that able kitchen link.

first thing to mention is, i got the bowl size that i expected i would get, which is 16 inches, so the same as i had already gotten. when i ordered from them, they seem to be a kitchen supply store, but when i got this package it is marked as if it came directly from Winco, so it seems that the seller doesnt actually stock it, and they took my order, and then placed my order through to winco, thus prompting them to send me the bowl directly, and since they only size they have now, is 16 inch, thats what they send. im just going to alter the bowl to fit. nothing a hammer cant fix. after all, its just for water.

Back