used wsk price

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
1693848833641.png
1693848875301.png
1693848892872.png
what do you think this is worth? the guy wants 700

Im thinking more like 300, I think the ding in the back and finish would bother me @700

any body shop guys think that ding could be popped out? would you paint it or just leave it and just keep it covered to prevent rust?

So offer more like $300 due to the condition - either you will make a deal or you won't. You are clearly bothered paying $700, so even if its worth that, it's not the right deal for you.

Offer what you think is reasonable. You can buy a new lid from Weber if you want if you do buy it.

It’s only worth what you’re willing to pay for it.

$700 is a steep ask with the damage. It doesn’t look like the seller put a lot of effort into looking after the cooker. I’d personally try to be patient for another example. For $300, I’d probably happily leave the dent as is, but I also live in a pretty dry climate so rust wouldn’t be a huge issue. Then again, the 2011-2016 Genesis cabinets still rust like crazy here….

The issue with getting the ding out is that, with the double-walled construction, you have to take the entire lid apart to separate the inner wall from the outer wall. You have to remove the gasket to get inside, and then you need to glue the gasket back afterwards.

I guess it boils down to how much effort you want to put into this. I’ve certainly spent more than $300 on less worthwhile project than this, so your mileage may vary.

I‘ve occasionally seen replacement lids pop up on the big auction site for about $300, so that might be a path of less resistance, but the cost would eat up much of your savings.

I think that seller needs to be realistic. I am with the consensus that $300 is more like it given that big reverse goose egg. At the asking price or a little more, you can do much better.

While I would try fixing a regular kettle or WSM, I have to agree that the double wall adds a new dimension. Maybe just leave the dent but touch up with ultra high heat gloss black paint.

My comment earlier about re-gluing the gasket was based on some emails to Weber customer service about how to reattach a screw/bolt thing that fell off the lid of my WSK. Since I last posted, I went and looked at my lid again, and I now suspect glue might be unnecessary.

I was advised that I had to remove the gasket with a putty knife to open up the lid to realign everything to get the screw reattached properly. Customer service instructed me to glue the gasket back in place with high heat silicon glue/lubricant such as Permatex high heat RTV or similar.

I haven’t gotten around to it due to it being our busy season at work, among other things, and because there’s no noticeable leak out from where the screw fell off, I’ve just continued cooking. Also, opening this lid seems like an extremely involved process, and I’ve had other things to do every weekend. 😂

Out of curiosity, I just went and gently pulled on my gasket, and it appears to be held in place with thin wire spring clip things. I don’t see any sign of glue having been used. I’m pretty sure I can reuse the wire spring clip things, so we’ll see how that goes.

Weber customer service did offer a replacement gasket if necessary, and a replacement lid assembly if the attempted repair proves unsuccessful.

Turns out the lid is pretty easy to get inside of!

The gasket is held to the lid by a bunch of thin wire spring clip type things (of course I forgot to take a photo of them). I was able to just gently pull the gasket away from the lid.

After that, I unscrewed the handle, thermometer, and top vent/damper.

There are five more screws to remove inside the lid, after which the inner section lifts away. It is held to the outer section with five spacers that have screws attached on each side.

(My lid issue involved retrieving and reattaching one of the spacers that had fallen loose inside the lid’s air gap portion.)

At this point, it’d be easy to work on the dented portion as you see fit.

Reassembly was just doing everything in reverse, and the gasket’s wire clip things just needed some firm presses to get back into their corresponding holes.

IMG_1670.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

It’s easily worth $700. High? Yep. I’d be comfortable at 500 and anything under is a win. That ding isn’t a $550 ding. It’s used, apparently well used at that, and that’s ok. It’s a cooker. It’s what it was made for.

The ding is easily brought out, how much you want is up to you. It’s not something that is popped out and unseeable, you can’t use filler. I’d leave or replace.

The product says sensor safe - not necessarily food safe. We all know that copper can be poisonous. I have no idea what's in the tube or what it does when you heat it up. Stay safe.
A few thousand Eggers have used it.

Not exaggerating.

Back