used 18.5

Dave_H

TVWBB Member
I got a used 18.5 wsm off craigslist for 100 dollars to go with my 22.5 wsm.. It has a slight gap around the middle section to the bottom section.. enough of a gap to see into the bottom.. it burns to hot for low and slow cooks...any ideas on how to either fill the gap or get it back to round?

1znamq0.jpg

28ajn1k.jpg

you can kind of see the gap below the door.. the door also has a small gap.. old school wsm but in fairly good shape...

Dave H;
Measure the barrel diameter in several places. If it is "out of round", you can often cure this by giving it a gentle bear hug. Go slow as sometimes it doesn't take much effort. Just bear hug where necessary to get it back round.

CAUTION: Wear old clothes to avoid grease staining something good (or a large shop apron).

Let us know how it worked out.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I agree with Robert M. Also using Nomex around the bottom of the middle section will take up any air space as well. It really tightens them up and gives you great air control.

Short of what Robert suggested, about the only thing I could think of is to remove the door and possibly pull against the bent body with your fingers and apply inward pressure with your thumbs outside on the base. Maybe you can snap it into place?? A few cooks like this it might stay put. A real temporary fix is to use heat resistant metal tape (I have used plenum tape. It's metal and has a paper backing you peel off)and cover the separated area. I used to do this around my stock door on my WSM to achieve a proper seal. Got the SS door from Cajun Bandit to permanently correct. If you use the tape, be sure and remove it after each cook while the WSM is warm. The adhesive will harden after cooling and it is a bear to remove. Good luck.

If it is more of a dent than out of round, you can get a block of wood, piece of 2x4, etc and a hammer and beat it out - from the inside out. Put the block of wood flat against the bent area and hit with the hammer. Start with fairly light hits to see what happens and then hit a little harder if needed.

It could be the mid-section or the charcoal bowl. I've had good luck using a ratchet strap and a small pc of plywood or 1x4.
Place the wood on the high side and set the business side of the strap over that. For the mid-section it will be opposite the gap, for the lower bowl it will be right on that gap. A few cranks and you'll see it come into tru round.

Tim

Fold up strips of heavy duty foil and hold in place as you set the mid section on. In other words use tin foil to fill the gap. I place tin oil on my door opening then place my door on upside down in order to make sure it is more air tight.

Late to the party, but I've "straightened" some damaged 55 gallon drums using a ratchet strap before when the lids wouldn't seat correctly. Should apply pretty well to the WSM too. Gotta use care a go slow.

Back