Use for free floor in wms?

Damir

I am kinda a new owner (about year or so) and used it about 20 times. I know you will see it as sacrilege, but the thing I enjoyed the most so far was a roasted duck/rooster in a ceramic roaster with potatos, carrots and onions underneath. (If someone wants the recipe feel free to ask). One thing I noticed is that most of the time I use only one floor and one is left empty. Do you have any ideas what I could do with it? Maybe some au gratin potatoes? Bread? Something else? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Your question is not sacrilegious at all, I rarely use both grates on my smoker either. Certainly you can do as you wish on the other layer. I had not even thought about using a clay cooker in the WSM, interesting idea.
I’m thinking that you are using something like a “Romertopf” clay pot? I have one but, have not used it in years!

It i
Your question is not sacrilegious at all, I rarely use both grates on my smoker either. Certainly you can do as you wish on the other layer. I had not even thought about using a clay cooker in the WSM, interesting idea.
I’m thinking that you are using something like a “Romertopf” clay pot? I have one but, have not used it in years!
It is not clay. it is white. Maybe porcelain? But i think the clay would be even better. I tried to do it in enameled iron one but it was not so good.
I mean it is waste not to use other level when you have a chance.

OK, I see what you are doing, you’re really using the WSM more like a basic oven. Yes, I agree, the second rack is right there why not use it?

Damir, welcome to the site! Your roasted fowl sounds delicious, and there's no such thing as sacrilege if you are using your WSM to make food you like! ;) Making use of the second grate is always a good idea since you might as well make best use of the fuel you are burning. I've been known to fill up the lower grate with chickens that I'll then cool/shred/freeze for other uses. Side dishes work great, too. Pretty much anything that you want to cook that can be finished to your liking at the temp you are cooking your "main" food would work.

Bread, in particular, might be tough as most breads require higher temps then we tend to use in our WSM's.......it's not impossible, though! :)

Rich

Welcome to the site! I too rarely use the lower grate on my WSM. If I am doing a pork butt or chicken I will sometimes load both grates up and then vacuum pack a bunch of smaller portions and then freeze them.

Yea I don't even know where mine is anymore LOL.
I used to put a half pan of beans underneath butts or ribs during the last hour or so.
Let some of those drippings flavor them beans!

Well yea I use it as multipurpose tool, but in this case like owen. I thought the low temperature might be problem for most scenarios because it is about 150C (300F). To be honest I didn't expect that most of you would have it unused too. :O

Welcome Damir, glad you joined us. I use my lower grate to set a drip pan on but rarely need it for cooking capacity, it just being the wife and I. It makes clean up easier.

Back