Upsetting news..

Last Friday I stopped by my local Home Depot to get a couple bags of CompK. They were all out. I asked the manager and she said that the buyer decided to stop carrying it for this store (or something to that effect).

So yesterday I stopped in to a different store and they only had 1 bag left (yes, I bought it). I asked the manager there and he said that the SKU # was not good any longer which he said usually means they will stop carrying it. I asked if it was just this store or HD wide. He said HD wide. Uh oh.... I really hope he's wrong about this.

I guess I'll be trying out some RO or Wicked Good. Naked Whiz gave the ChunkK only an 'Above Average', while RO got a 'Highly Recommended'.

Russ

correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the SKU# is in reference to the old Kingsford blue.
it's possible your HD manager was talking about not stocking the old Kingsford blue...
and his shipment of new Kingsford blue has not arrived yet...?

Russ,
Have you tried Stubbs? It is available at Lowes year round. Its all I have been using all winter. Its all natural, not too much ash, no smell or odor. I will be using it from now on. Most people that try it like it. I pay $8.69 for 15lb bag.

Just a thought in case the Kingsford does not work out.

If you're considering switching to lump, I say go for it. I just did a 5 hour smoke (ribs) with Royal Oak and have only good things to say. Even temps, no problems. I usually use K comp for the WSM...

Hey Jim,

I tagged along when he walked over to the shelves and wrote down the SKU # from the tag. He even pointed out that the tag said Kingsford Competition but there was a pallet of the Kingsford Hickory parked in the slot.

So I followed him back to the service desk and he typed in the number into his computer. I couldn't see the screen but he said that HD wasn't going to carry it any longer. He then suggested that I contact Kingsford for someplace else to get it from or if they were even going to market it any longer.

Russ

Kingsford changed the packaging of the Kingsford Competition bags sold at HD. The new bags are smaller and cost more, and they have a new SKU. Your store has likely not received a shipment of the new bags, or they don't feel the product is worth selling at the new price per pound.

I posted a topic on this change recently:
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/160105884

If you want to have your local store check on availability of the new bags, the new SKU is 0 44600 30520 2.

I'll be visiting Costco this week to see what their supply looks like and price per pound. I think I can get a day pass to pick up a few bags.

I picked up a couple of bags of Kingsford Comp last weekend and something struck me odd. No where on the bad could I find the words "100% hardwood". I could only find "All Natural". I may be wrong, and I probably am, but I thought it used to state "Hardwood" in the description on the bag. If I am correct, have they changed the formula? All Natural could mean anything. Dog doo-doo is all natural.

I don't believe Kingsford is made from all hardwood. The charcoal component comes from lots of different species depending on where in the USA it's manufactured, and in the Pacific Northwest they use a lot of scrap, trimming, etc from non-hardwood trees.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary N:
Have you tried Stubbs? It is available at Lowes year round. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Must be regional...my Lowes has Stubbs wood chips, but no charcoal.

Regards,
Chris

Tried a load of RO for a brisket yesterday and ooohhhhhh...... I'm sold.

Fired up right away. Almost no smoke on startup, in fact I almost burned the snot out of myself cause I thought the fire went out. Went with a dry pan and the temps stayed right on the mark. Very little ash in the bottom.

Shut it down at 8 hours and there's way more than enough left to do this afternoons chicken run.

Guess I'm done with K. Now what to do with that bag I just bought.

Russ

Your story and mine are the same except I have been using for a couple weeks (12 cooks) and don't have nothing but good to say about RO!

Happy Q'n
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hey Russ -

You can also go to acehardware.com and they offer K Comp. It is listed at $9.49 per bag with free shipping to your store.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
I picked up a couple of bags of Kingsford Comp last weekend and something struck me odd. No where on the bad could I find the words "100% hardwood". I could only find "All Natural". I may be wrong, and I probably am, but I thought it used to state "Hardwood" in the description on the bag. If I am correct, have they changed the formula? All Natural could mean anything. Dog doo-doo is all natural. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still have a 12# bag from last year and there is no mention of "Hardwood" just "All Natural".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
I picked up a couple of bags of Kingsford Comp last weekend and something struck me odd. No where on the bad could I find the words "100% hardwood". I could only find "All Natural". I may be wrong, and I probably am, but I thought it used to state "Hardwood" in the description on the bag. If I am correct, have they changed the formula? All Natural could mean anything. Dog doo-doo is all natural. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still have a 12# bag from last year and there is no mention of "Hardwood" just "All Natural". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yea, I guess I was wrong. Oh well, now that I can get Rancher again at TJ I am a happy cooker.

Back