Unicorn Found! The Weber Flat Top FT-400

Its origin is not crystal clear because Larry and a friend did a professional conversion of one of the manifolds (LP to NG) even redoing the valves.
Truth be told I can't remember it's been so long ago now. I am sorry about that.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but could you simply compare the size of the orifices on the extra manifold to the ones on the manifold on the grill?

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but could you simply compare the size of the orifices on the extra manifold to the ones on the manifold on the grill?
Yes, I plan to do that. There is still some uncertainty about the valves themselves on what Larry kindly through in with the sale. When things warm up next week, I am going to look at what I have and maybe even disassemble one of the valves - possibly on both the Flat Top and the spare manifold.

checkout pirateship.com for shipping. last fall I shipped a SS lid with the liner from a Genesis Gold C from Cali to to new york for $65
Dimensions: 29x20x14"
Weight: 21 lbs

#ENABLER
How ironic. @DanHoo is shipping SS lids across the country into my backyard and here I am also in NY casting away almost every one of them that crosses my path to the local scrappers.

You’re a better man than I am, @Jon Tofte. John Holt is only about an hour south of me in Red Hook and his Summits and griddles show up in my marketplace feed pretty regularly. I actually looked at the flat top you eventually acquired along with the larger one he still has and passed on both. The up-front cost to buy one from John along with the fade and associated costs to refinish the porcelain quickly put a restored, resale flip out of financial reach for potential buyers (at least in my mind). A labor of love like you’re undertaking is probably the only feasible way to make one of these griddle projects work. I’ll happily ride shotgun watching your progress on this one.

You’re a better man than I am, @Jon Tofte. John Holt is only about an hour south of me in Red Hook and his Summits and griddles show up in my marketplace feed pretty regularly. I actually looked at the flat top you eventually acquired along with the larger one he still has and passed on both. The up-front cost to buy one from John along with the fade and associated costs to refinish the porcelain quickly put a restored, resale flip out of financial reach for potential buyers (at least in my mind). A labor of love like you’re undertaking is probably the only feasible way to make one of these griddle projects work. I’ll happily ride shotgun watching your progress on this one.
I bought it for myself. I have never seen one for sale anywhere near me, so when he was able to bring it to Indy that made it well worth it to me. Unless I throw some serious $ at it, I can only do so much. Still, I get to cook on a flat top! That may sound crazy, but for me it is great fun and an important part of the joy of this hobby.

I am still trying to figure out how that "Barbecue Pot" works. Pretty clear the top is just a Weber Go Anywhere lid but with no apparent venting. But what is underneath? Looks like there are metal handles on the short side to lift the whole thing out. Is it just a plain steel Go Anywhere shell with no opening or do you all think it is something heavier duty to have direct heat underneath it? Seems to possibly be shallower than a GA bottom.

Weber Flat Top Ad Focus on Cooking Pot.jpg

We will put in a landing strip. Put the food on the grill. And we "recommission" a concorde or sr21... and try to pick everyone up by the time the food is done.
If santa can do it...

Pretty darn cool Jon. I am curious if by not having a top which keeps less heat trapped if you noticed any fire box issues. Also curious if this model has a higher BTU rating than the same Summit. I would almost think it would need perhaps 20% or so more BTU than it's hooded brethren.
Hi Larry, I suspect the BTU ratings were the same across the 'Series One' Summit range.

For example, Weber part 98198 is the manifold for the FT 400 NG.

Apparently this part also fits The Summit 425NG (pre 2000), Summit 450NG, Summit 475NG, and... the Kenmore 616.261101

For the FT 400 LP (pre 2000) the manifold part number is 98202
For the 425LP, 450LP, and the Kenmore 616.261101 (?) the part number is 97089, and shows as available for $195.08 USD.

A BBQ with a lid was uncommon in Australia. Mostly cooking was done on an open grill or griddle plate (Mostly on a griddle)

I think the FT was a 'special' to sell in Australia, because an open grill was what we all had.

Extra BTU probably not required- open griddle, get it hot, then you cook one side, flip it, cook the other side, (and usually overcook), back in the day.

Pretty darn cool Jon. I am curious if by not having a top which keeps less heat trapped if you noticed any fire box issues.
Larry, I really like this theory. In Australia, I am yet to come across a Summit 'Series One' of any type that has serious rot around the burners.
I suspect most cooking was done here in Australia with the lid up, so not stressing the porcelain as much?

Would be fairly surprised it has the same BTU/per burner as a closed type. But, I guess I could see it. On a personal level I would want to see a little more "oomph" on the FT

I am still trying to figure out how that "Barbecue Pot" works. Pretty clear the top is just a Weber Go Anywhere lid but with no apparent venting. But what is underneath? Looks like there are metal handles on the short side to lift the whole thing out. Is it just a plain steel Go Anywhere shell with no opening or do you all think it is something heavier duty to have direct heat underneath it? Seems to possibly be shallower than a GA bottom.
Hi Jon, someone has put one up for sale in South Australia, asking $120AUD, describing it as 'unused'. Probably a tad ambitious in the ask, but...
Anyway there are some photos

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

I have made comments over the years that I have been on TVWBB about how much I would like to own a Weber Flat Top. If you haven't heard of this obscure grill, it was essentially a 1st generation Summit without a hood but instead with fold-out grease defectors and very cool sliding covers that doubled as side tables. Like its companion Summit grill, it was offered in both 4 and 6-burner sizes.

You don't see these very often at all here in the US, but our friends Down Under 🦘 🇦🇺 loved them, and they were primarily targeted to the Australian market. I understand that even today finding a used one of these there is not as big a deal. Check out this Weber Australia advertisement and imagine yourself with a Crocodile Dundee hat on while you grill out on the barbie!

View attachment 85338

Well, the Flat Top has eluded me for years, but back this summer, @HankBates posted about a guy in NY selling a bunch of Summits (and a couple Flat Tops). I contacted him, and we had a really nice phone conversation about the challenges of restoring old Summits. I told him how I wanted one of the Flat Tops but that NY was way too far away. No problem! The seller, John Holt, attends the annual Home Show in Indianapolis for his regular business - he said he would be happy to bring it with him! I agreed to pay him electronically back then, based on the trust I felt in our conversation as fellow Weber Summit fans. John turned out to be a man of his word, and today I picked up my very own Flat Top.

View attachment 85339

John gave me a very fair price as this grill is obviously unrestored and has plenty of "Weber fade" on those cool sliding lids. That's OK, it is still such a unique find. By the way, John still has some Summit stuff left if you are interested. He gave me permission to share his email, so PM me if you are interested. In addition to the Flat Top FT-400, I also bought a nice smoker box and a bunch of Summit/'00-01 Platinum knobs, casters and especially cool two rare sets of THICK 304 stainless Weber grates with the fold-up trapdoor for accessing the below grate-level smoker box used in the 1st genaration Summit. (I will post more about the grates in a new post in my old thread about stainless rod grates.)

View attachment 85340
View attachment 85341

So, do I believe this Flat Top will actually cook any different than my same size 4-burner Summit if used with the hood open? No, not likely. But the Flat Top is just SO COOL :coolkettle: . I will be looking for that Crocodile Dundee hat, and maybe this summer will have some pictures to post of it in action. I will need a very large "Now that's a knife" to cut my steaks with:D!

I will also be thinking about that Weber Go Anywhere looking "cooking pot" and a griddle. Also, might use the old-style stamped steel grates as shown in that advertisement. I would love to hear your ideas!
Congratulations. Always nice when you can stumble into a dream item that you have spent many years looking for.

Back