Unicorn Found! The Weber Flat Top FT-400

Not a bad idea really. #ENCOURAGINGTHEENABLINGOFOTHERSTOSPENDTHEIRMONEY
No it isn’t a bad idea at all - but out of my price range I am sure - especially factoring in shipping. @Dave in KC is blessed to be close enough to drop off and pick up things. But, maybe my ship will come in😊! I would be content with just back to jet black.

Thanks for planting evil idea$$$$!

No it isn’t a bad idea at all - but out of my price range I am sure - especially factoring in shipping. @Dave in KC is blessed to be close enough to drop off and pick up things. But, maybe my ship will come in😊! I would be content with just back to jet black.

Thanks for planting evil idea$$$$!
Maybe there is a company closer to you that does that kind of work. I haven't looked, but there has got to be one in or around Chicago.

I tried calling a few places in Indianapolis a couple years ago, but they want to do bathtubs not grills!

Looks Like You Are Correct, Larry!

I didn’t expect this much interest in my unicorn Flat-Top. I braved the 10 degrees (after shoveling snow snd clearing the driveway earlier today) and got the Flat-Top off my truck.

Good news is that I don’t see any evidence of rusting around the burner openings. I think @LMichaels (Larry) was spot on that with no hood to hoard the heat, the firebox on this was not subject to such high heat/rapid cool downs as a regular Summit would have been. That’s what makes the porcelain crack and rust get started.

IMG_4378.jpeg

IMG_4377.jpeg

A brief look shows the sliding cover shelves are, in fact, pretty sad:

IMG_4381.jpeg
IMG_4385.jpeg
IMG_4383.jpeg

The reporcelain idea certainly has appeal when you look at this. I am sure I can make them look some better, but mostly it is just fade in the porcelain. One encouraging thing is that these covers are not very heavy. At least if I did go on the wild side, shipping would only be high instead of obscene😏. I bet Jeff at IPE has done a lot of different Webers but not one of these!

One encouraging thing is that these covers are not very heavy. At least if I did go on the wild side, shipping would only be high instead of obscene😏. I bet Jeff at IPE has done a lot of different Webers but not one of these!

checkout pirateship.com for shipping. last fall I shipped a SS lid with the liner from a Genesis Gold C from Cali to to new york for $65
Dimensions: 29x20x14"
Weight: 21 lbs

#ENABLER

If you stop and think a bit about it..... those covers aren't really/don't need to be subjected to high heat...... I'm sure you could make them look really nice with a heavy polish and some hi temp gloss black --- or any other color of your choice.

But knowing you are more of a purist, you will hate yourself until you get them properly recoated.

Great news on the fire box. What is the BTU rating of the grill?
Well, Larry, the bad news is that this is a natural gas version. I do have the leftover manifold from the Summit you sold me. So, first, here is what is on the frame leg:
IMG_4386.jpeg
Not sure what it really means. Then I guess I will need some of your knowledgeable guidance. If I have understood some past discussions on this topic, the dangerous way is LP to NG, whereas this NG to LP doesn’t pose the same risk but could end up with a grill where high is fine but medium and low are not as moderate as you would expect. If that is the case, that doesn’t bother me since I would see this as almost always being run wide open.

What would you suggest I get now and do when warm weather and the end of tax season gets here?

If you stop and think a bit about it..... those covers aren't really/don't need to be subjected to high heat...... I'm sure you could make them look really nice with a heavy polish and some hi temp gloss black --- or any other color of your choice.

But knowing you are more of a purist, you will hate yourself until you get them properly recoated.
The one thing is that they slide out to become shelves. Unless I resist the temptation to use them as shelves, I am probably better off just cleaning as well as I can - unless I go all out with new porcelain. Quality high heat paint will actually do better than what we tend to think and say here, but it won’t hold up long to sliding platters and grill tools.

Well, Larry, the bad news is that this is a natural gas version. I do have the leftover manifold from the Summit you sold me. So, first, here is what is on the frame leg:
View attachment 85369
Not sure what it really means. Then I guess I will need some of your knowledgeable guidance. If I have understood some past discussions on this topic, the dangerous way is LP to NG, whereas this NG to LP doesn’t pose the same risk but could end up with a grill where high is fine but medium and low are not as moderate as you would expect. If that is the case, that doesn’t bother me since I would see this as almost always being run wide open.

What would you suggest I get now and do when warm weather and the end of tax season gets here?
well that label is "informative" LOL. Since it's NG if you know the total BTU rating for ea burner simply jet it accordingly and since it's an open top grill the fact low/med are not 100% correct will not be an issue, may actually be an asset

Back