Unhappy with my Red Head restoration

I used cypress for my “over performer” it’s holding up beautifully using nothing more exotic than tung oil.
You’ve all heard the story about where the stock came from so I will let it go at that.
Now for the immense party cooler project, I’m not sure what I will do.

Jon, I kind of agree with Larry about the oak but I think Tim did his and used poly and its held up for a few years.

You have to use the spar on the oak and pay special attention to the ends of the slats as they will cup if they aren't treated properly. Your in a tough environment like ATL every morning in the summer everything covered in dew and soaking wet. I assume Jon your going to keep it covered you almost have no choice unless you are storing it in one of your sheds.

Yeah that was directed at using cedar or redwood. Honestly IMO oak belongs on floors and furniture not grills LOL

Larry,

I guess it is another “what makes the world go around” things, but don’t hold total judgment until I finally - if ever - finish my Skyline slats. I am going with dark walnut stain and doing just as Brian says about multi coats of the MxCloskey spar urethane.

Brian,
Thanks again for recommendation of McCloskey. I agree totally that the edges are especially important. A lot of fun with 36 slats that have to be finished:p!

Jon, I kind of agree with Larry about the oak but I think Tim did his and used poly and its held up for a few years.

You have to use the spar on the oak and pay special attention to the ends of the slats as they will cup if they aren't treated properly. Your in a tough environment like ATL every morning in the summer everything covered in dew and soaking wet. I assume Jon your going to keep it covered you almost have no choice unless you are storing it in one of your sheds.

If I'm the Tim you are referring to, I did use oak, stain and poly. The poly breaks down due to the exposure to the sun. It's not terrible, but it's not great either. I'm going to spar the oak soon, just as soon as I can. I'm already getting scheduled out to October by other parties, so who knows when I'll spar those slats? I'm kind of thinking I'd like to use new wood too, but I do like the look of the stained oak on the grill. Contrary to some others' opinions of course, but I don't think it's worth a spat! Different people do different things. I don't mind working on the grill, and it sure doesn't mind my work. I will say that even though it's not perfect, my grill is, in my opinion, superior to pretty much any grill I see these days at the big boxes. So for that, I am very happy. And I keep looking at the other grills each time I walk past them to get, say, spar, or stainless bolts, or ......

Tim, I don't really think anyone is causing a spat. I kind of look at the info on lots of posts as educational for all us especially someone new as we are posting pro's and con's.

Just like the Poly info which to be honest it was only a few years ago that I found out it should not be used outside because of the UV factor I quite frankly would not of even thought of that, figured its good enough for my hardwood floors outside would not be an issue. Although is your grill covered I would think if it is might not be a big deal, how much sun is it going to get.

I liked the look of yours by the way so not saying nobody should use it but their are risks which if you know about ahead of time and willing to take them who cares. If it works for you and your happy that is all that matters.

Regarding the end caps, I had the same issue and found if I used paint stripper the existing paint just melted off and with a little elbow grease I managed to get things down to original aluminum..a few coats of high heat flat black paint and its been 2 years and they still look new.
I tried the angle grinder but I wasn't impressed with removing any aluminum or creating grind marks that inevitably would show through the new paint. Keep in mind the paint remover took some time ie. a few hours and a few days of scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush....probably not the easiest way to do this but I DO believe its the best way

I would think you could take it to a professional metal finishing shop and ask them to strip them and maybe even do a powder coat for you which would give ou an incredibly solid finish

Back