Underway: 2013 Spirit S-210

Jay,

That's too bad. I have had great success with Krylon's max heat black. Silver/Aluminum is definitely a trickier thing to pull off.

Jay,

That's too bad. I have had great success with Krylon's max heat black. Silver/Aluminum is definitely a trickier thing to pull off.

Jon,
Minor setback in the scheme of things. While I always try to save costs in a smart way...and if I had the workshop in my basement like I used to, this project would be completed by now. I'm OK with a budget of $100 on this one. That includes every that I didn't already have...which is burner tubes and an ignitor system. So essentially a better than new grill for under $100 all in. If I had the right tools I would have made the base out of diamond plate. But cutting it with an angle grinder is humble.

Made some progress and see the light at the end of of the tunnel. Was hoping to complete it by the end of the weekend but the silver cookbox paint fiasco set me back. All of the rusted sheet metal has been brushed, treated, primed and painted but for the cross braces....but they are small enough. The plywood base seems to work just fine. I took Stefan's recommendation and bought four new swivel casters... 2 locking and 2 regular at Lowes.

Oh, and the new FBs from Amazon just arrived: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01FJAQ5O0/tvwb-20

These are excellent quality and a definite 16 Gauge SS. Price cannot be beat either.
Just the cookbox and hood caps left to paint, hood and door polished up with BKF and a coat of car wax and then reassembly.

Last edited:
Completed the restoration the other day and returned the S-210 to its home base...the deck of our beach house. Of course it was raining. But we cooked dinner on it last night after a 60 minute burn off. Back in business. I did some minor brushing of the cookbox so the black dust you see underneath will get cleaned up(so will the deck!☺)
I took some artistic license with the knobs. I used flat high heat on the cookbox and semigloss on the lid caps.
The results: http://imgur.com/gallery/gnbFfgu

For those of you using imagur you can use this https://imgur.com/s3wW3A3 which simply puys a link and is actually called a "share link" or you can use the BB Forums code which actually puts this
s3wW3A3.jpg
into your post and allows us to see the image without leaving TVWBB it's much more convenient that way for us viewing your photos
And yes the handsome devil is me at about 6 or 7 years old LOL I think the photo may have been taken at my bridging ceremony back in 1957 or 58

I was just using the first photo that popped up to demonstrate is all. Hopefully posters get the point about best way to use Imagur

Yah, I think everyone understood that. I just thought the picture was a classic. I hope my comment about looking "classic Italian" wasn't offensive. I didn't mean it to be at all.

Well it's been over a month that my restored Spirit S-210 has been sitting on our beach house deck uncovered. Not a single spot of rust on it so I'm going to say that Rustoleum Rust Reformer and Loctite Rust Neutralizer are very good products and since they both come in spray cans they are easy to work with. I'll try and post some pics but the grill looks great and will get put through it's paces come Easter Sunday when we host Easter dinner at our beach house.

Back