Two beef rib roasts

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
I've got a 4.12 lb and 5.28 lb beef standing rib roasts to smoke tomorrow. How much time at 225/250 degrees for both together to reach 125 degrees?

I can't help much on the length of time. But if you're going to use a
thermometer I would cook them to 135 140 IT and let them rest for a while covered. I'd start the bigger one first because it weighs more

Hi Craig, I'd say between two to three and a half hours.

My suggestion is to work backward from your serving time and allow at least an hour for resting. If it gets done early, pull it off, rest it and hold it. and if it takes longer you have some buffer.

I like to finish mine with a short run in the electric oven at 500F ( 5 to 8 mins) to put a final crisp on it before service. If any bread or biscuits need to go in the oven is already hot.

Cooked at 225 F, I pulled my dry-brined usda prime grade 5.6 lb bone-in Christmas prime rib at 110 after about three hours and then it peaked at 127 during the long rest uncovered. Then I seared at 500 F for ten minutes. Sliced it right away. Warm, tender, juicy, flavorful. Don't forget to pre-heat your dinner plates.

IMG_3874.jpg

I use 35 minutes per lb. At 225. For medium rare I took it off at 120, raised the set temp to 450, did the reverse sear. After a 30 minute tented rest we carved it. I would prefer an hour rest. It was on the low side of medium rare which is how SHE likes it - me too. That was a Smokefire cook.

Back