Twist on the Minion method.

Mike P.

TVWBB All-Star
I watched a youtube video that showed a fellow lighting his WSM for the 1st time out of the box. When he loaded his charcoal, he set a gallon jug in the middle and loaded charcoal around it. After loading, he pulled out the jug which left a "doughnut hole" in the middle. He then poured one starter chimney full of hot coal in the middle and had enough to cover the top coals. He then added wood chunks.

This looked pretty efficient to me. This may be old news to you pro's.

Anyone else try this?

Most of the people who see value in that method use a coffee can with both ends cut off and place the lit coals in the can, then use pliers to pull the can out. I personally don't see any reason to do it, I just dump my hot coals on top and then space them out with tongs.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like there is no advantage one way or the other.
icon_biggrin.gif

I make an indention in the center of my unlit coals and put the lit coals in it. My smoke wood is on the outside so it gradually lights.

I do the same as Lew. By putting the indentation in the middle like a volcano you have a place to put your lit from the chimney starter. without it my coals kept sliding down the outside of the charcoal pile

My simple reasoning for making a "doughnut hole"
in the center and pouring lit coals in it is to allow air to get to the lit coals to keep them going so they will light the unlit coals.

Tried the doughnut hole approach. Saw no advantage to it. Never experienced the problems stated by Paul H or Tom.

Don't get me wrong, I still like doughnut holes...the kind you eat.
icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,
Chris

"One starter chimney full" of lit is not, imo, the Minion Method. It is a way of starting, certainly, but not the MM, which relies on far fewer lit coals (from 60-90% less).

Me, I'm not a fan of the 'coffee can' approach, the indentation approach, or any approach other than evenly spread across the top - and not many, unless it is cold outside.

The other methods are kinda sorta Minionesque, but also sort of defeat what I think is one of keys points to the MM, the ability to evenly and slowly light the unlit.

Not a fan here of the coffee can aproach or pouring unlit around the chimney of lit while lighting, either. That's another similiar one I've seen and tried.

I prefer lighting the top with a propane torch though for more efficient start-ups. A bbq competitor that posts on another forum actually called lighting with the torch the "new" Minion method. It's quick and very efficient so that a Minion "light and load" start-up isn't nearly as iffy reaching target temp with a cooker full of cold meat. I light all of the top except for the very outer briqs so my wood chunks there will start smoking slower.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Tried the doughnut hole approach. Saw no advantage to it. Never experienced the problems stated by Paul H or Tom.

icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris, I guess what I poorly stated in my original question should have been, Which method will yield a longer burn time (if any)?

Originally posted by K Kruger:
"One starter chimney full" of lit is not, imo, the Minion Method. It is a way of starting, certainly, but not the MM, which relies on far fewer lit coals (from 60-90% less).

Me, I'm not a fan of the 'coffee can' approach, the indentation approach, or any approach other than evenly spread across the top - and not many, unless it is cold outside.

The other methods are kinda sorta Minionesque, but also sort of defeat what I think is one of keys points to the MM, the ability to evenly and slowly light the unlit.
To each his own. I get a slow, even burn with my "indentation approach". I get 16 hrs. on a full ring of coals and rarely have to adjust my vents.

Agree about a whole chimney not being the Minion Method. I use about 20 lit coals to start.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
I prefer lighting the top with a propane torch though for more efficient start-ups.
I get this from the perspective of a barbecue competitor for whom time is valuable and they're lighting more charcoal in a month than I do in 10 years. And I suppose if you already own a weed burner for some other reason, why not go ahead and use it to light charcoal...it certainly works and looks really impressive. But I would not recommend it for the average backyard guy.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Mike David P:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:

icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris, I guess what I poorly stated in my original question should have been, Which method will yield a longer burn time (if any)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The consumption of coals is based on airflow more than how many you start with. The idea with the MM is that you start with far fewer lit and the fire spreads slowly. If you open all the vents 100% you'll get a roaring fire going in no time regardless of how many lit you start with.

Most, but not all people, start with between 10-20 lit, and can sustain a fire for 16 hours. Using my BBQ Guru set at 225 I can burn for 16 hours on 3/4 of a fully loaded ring, but I've sealed off all of the bottom vents and the door with high heat tape and the only way air gets in is through the blower. YMMV if you prefer old school temp control using only the vents.

I get this from the perspective of a barbecue competitor for whom time is valuable and they're lighting more charcoal in a month than I do in 10 years. And I suppose if you already own a weed burner for some other reason, why not go ahead and use it to light charcoal...it certainly works and looks really impressive. But I would not recommend it for the average backyard guy.

Regards,
Chris

I'm with you, lighting what I need in the chimney is a pretty easy job and it gives me the time I need to get my stuff outside and ready to go on the smoker. I might change my tune in January when it's -40, but for now I'm okay with waiting for the chimney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
I prefer lighting the top with a propane torch though for more efficient start-ups.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya, Chris, and I realize that a torch might be a little intimidating at first to some folks. However, less refueling and quicker start-ups are benefits anyone will enjoy. While it's a challenge on the rather slow cooking wsm, "traditional" low-n-slow all-day butt or brisket cooks are certainly doable if you can get the cooker up to temp fast enough and keep it there, even using water in the pan. Like a good windbreak, a torch is just a tool that'll serve a good purpose and it only costs about the price of two chimneys.

I bought mine originally for lighting my old UDS, and while I occasionally use it for lighting my burn pile I mainly use it for charcoal. Recently, I even started leaving my leftover charcoal on my kettle and I'll just hit it with the torch a bit to get my grill hot and ready really quick.

Anyone who has a gas grill or a turkey fryer should already have a tank, and my torch was really cheap:

http://www.harborfreight.com/p...n-igniter-91037.html

"If it aint broke,don't fix it" that seems to come to mind whenever I try to fire up the pit some different way. I just use my torch to fire up two small sections and I am off and running. I dont put the middle section on until I know the two spots have caught on. After the meat is on, I open the side door and add the wood.

Like Dave I use my weed burner primarily to start my BDS which can be tricky if using a chimney. I have found that I also like it to start my kettle cooks. I will put the charcoal in, the cooking grate on and blast away. This method helps to burn off any left-over gunk on the cooking grate while also lighting the charcoal. Not a Minion Method and not using a WSM but just saying...

Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Like Dave I use my weed burner primarily to start my BDS which can be tricky if using a chimney. Not a Minion Method and not using a WSM but just saying...

Steve, call it the Minion Method "improved" if you want, but I think what makes the Minion Method efficient is simply lighting a small amount of charcoal on top, regardless how it's lit.

Back