Turkey question

B. Kaylor

TVWBB Fan
I've got a brined 14#'er on now that we are going to serve tomorrow, cold, along with pulled pork. The question is, should I slice while warm tonight, and then chill overnight or,chill whole and slice tomorrow. Time wise I can do either. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated! Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
chill whole and slice cold. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed! When you slice hot meat, you loose juices, and it starts to dry out as soon as it's sliced.
icon_wink.gif

I agree with J and Bryan! Plus the turkey will 'mature with flavor' if you will, while it's refrigerated overnight. Cold smoked turkey is the best turkey as far as I'm concerned!

I also agree with the boys. Might want to wrap in saran wrap tight and carve the next day. You will keep it moister that way. And as you know already the smoke flavor will be more (like Larry said). Are you thinking on heating it up the next day or serving it cold? If you are heating it up how? Happy Fathers Day to All Father's!!!
icon_cool.gif

Keep on Smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks for all of the replys! BTW it turned out GREAT, none left. Our son was home from OKC for 5 days and I've been busy! Thursday: ribs & wings. Then Sat. afternoon, I smoked the brined turkey, tented in foil, cooled, then wraped in plastic and chilled over night. The bird came off at 7:00P.M., stired the coals to rid the ash, re-fueled, and set 2 8# butts on the smoker. Sun A.M., sliced the turkey, very moist, pulled & foiled/coolered the butts about 11:00 ish, picnic at 1:00. Today, just brats on the kettle. Whew!! Lately, I've been working 7 days a week, so this was like heaven!! [I love cold turkey!] Bryan, your Chiptole Mayo was a real hit, and Larry's WRO...outstanding! Thanks for everything!

Back