Turkey Legs

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello all,
My turkey legs are a big hit at work. For me, they are almost a no brainer, and effortless. They are pretty cheap, and always come out great. I would like to find a way to crowd as many as I can in one session. Right now I can only put 6 on the top rack lying down. I don’t use the bottom rack because of all the work to turn them.
Just wondering if anyone has a better way to do these?

how many times are you turning them during your cook? If you're using indirect heat it shouldn't be more than once, I think.

So, just plan on doing 6 on both racks. There, I just doubled your capacity!

Thanks for your reply Dave,
I foil the water pan, and flip em after every hour. Yeh I know I could use the bottom grate. I was just looking to see what someone else was doing.
My last batch was sea salt brined for 2 hours, and smoked with cherry wood for 4 hours. So far, the best I've done.

I wonder if there is some sort of rack you could use that would allow you to stand them up. That might eliminate the need for turning, and I would imagine allow you to cram 20 or more in the WSM using both grates.

You could stand them up yourself by making bundles of legs at the knuckle end with kitchen twine. I'm envisioning 3-4 per grouping, with the meaty side pointing towards the grill. If you're feeling saucy you could even potentially stack some with the meaty side up, buttressed by three bundles from the bottom layer.

Vertically you might not have to turn them as much, either, maybe simply rotate the grill inside the WSM once or twice.

This is all my imagination though so I'm not sure how well that structure would hold up. I can only imagine they would do fine if you tie them up tightly, though a loose tie would allow for some space in between the legs for even cooking.

I usually only turn them once at 250. I am looking for a way to do a whole lot of em easier than pulling the WSM appart to get to the bottom rack. I would like to do about 10 of them this week end.

A sidebar question: Where do you get the legs? I never see them in my local markets, yet with the high volume of breast sales I know there have to be some legs looking for a home!

I'd just tie them underneath the top rack and let the legs hang down. No need to flip 'em or anything that way and you should be able to fit more than 10 with ease.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Graham:
I'd just tie them underneath the top rack and let the legs hang down. No need to flip 'em or anything that way and you should be able to fit more than 10 with ease. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I was thinking. You could still probably poke a thermapen into them to check internal temps if you needed too.

What do you use to prep your legs (rub, marinade, if any)?

i have a small aluminum folding table i use to set the top rack on when i need to muck with food on the lower level. i also use my kettler as a setting spot if the table is in use.

its pretty easy like that.

Back