Turkey Breast Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff S.

TVWBB Fan
Going to smoke a couple turkey breast this week.
I was wondering what everyone thought of using wild cherry wood? As my only other choices are hickory and mesquite
Also, if I decide to put some quartered up orange in it, do I peel it first, or just leave the peel on?
Thanks

I've never used wild cherry wood, so I can't offer even a semi-educated opinion on that. As for the orange peels, take a bite of one and see if that's a taste you'd like to impart to your turkey. Personally, I'd remove the peel first.

Jeff I have a wild cherry in my back yard and I've been using it on just about everything. It went great on my turkeys and the skinless rolled turkey breasts I did a few months back. As a rule I take off the bark since some people say they don't like the tast of the bark. But to be honest I've never been able to tell the difference whether I've gone bark on or off.

Cherry also mixes pretty nicely with apple and Hickory. I dind't care for it when mixed with mesquite. Listen to Jim M. you don't need much.

I've been cooking turkeys with oranges in em for .... well.... longer than I can remember. I've always left the peels on. Mostly because that's the way I was taught but after reading Larry D's post I just realized I happen to like the taste of lemon zest too.

I will go with the wild cherry and more than likely peel the oranges.
I will post how they turn out later this week when I smoke them.
Thanks for the tips.

Wow this is so weird because I am pretty much doing this for Christmas day as well. Only I am gonna take an apple and an orange and quarter them. Then I am gonna sprinkle them generously with brown sugar and cinnamon and into the microwave or toaster oven to get nice and carmalized. Into the belly of the bird then right on the cooker. If this recipe turns out how I am expecting, then I am gonna post it no doubt.

Big Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back