Turkey Breast - need some help

BenM

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a 5-pound boneless turkey breast. Having never smoked one before, I need some advice. I am pretty good on smoking whole chickens, but this is new to me. Do I need to brine it like a chicken? I cook my chickens to 165 degrees; they come out juicy and so moist. Do I use the same method? What about cook times? My full birds take about 4+ hours at 2225-250. Is this going to cook at similar times?

Any advice is appreciated

I’d brine it. Wet or dry. Assuming you’re cooking it skin on. Do cook skin on and either toss the skin when cooked or sear the skin alone in a CI after smoking/cooking the breast so it’ll get crisped. Otherwise the skin will be rubbery when cooking below 350°. But I’d cook it low and slow so it retains all its moisture. No one like dry turkey.

Here is the final product
  1. 275 degrees for 2 3/4 hours
  2. Meat Church Rubs - Gospel and Holy Cow
  3. Drizzled melted butter seasoned with basil, garlic, rosemary, dill, and thyme

Attachments

• 20221011_181201.jpg
    20221011_181201.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221011_181817.jpg
    20221011_181817.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221011_181156.jpg
    20221011_181156.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 24
It looks beautiful with the method you used! I buy whole turkey breasts (which include the bone) and got in the habit of spinning them in the Kettle at higher heat. Maybe I should try your approach at least once.

Ben, stop asking questions and keep on doing what you are and, I think you will be JUST FINE!
However, that does not look like a boneless breast to me. Looks like a full breast detached from the rest of the corpus.
To be fair, I think the better way to do breasts when you need more quantity!
A friend does the Aaron Franklin method and swears by it, it sure tastes great. I e not done it but have every intention of doing g one soon!
I believe, it is a FINE way to utilize good butter!

Buddy, that looks like a hit to me!
Finding full turkey breasts isn’t too tough around her, maybe it’s time to stock a couple!?

Last edited:
Ben, stop asking questions and keep on doing what you are and, I think you will be JUST FINE!
However, that does not look like a boneless breast to me. Looks like a full breast detached from the rest of the corpus.
To be fair, I think the better way to do breasts when you need more quantity!
A friend does the Aaron Franklin method and swears by it, it sure tastes great. I e not done it but have every intention of doing g one soon!
I believe, it is a FINE way to utilize good butter!

Buddy, that looks like a hit to me!
Finding full turkey breasts isn’t too tough around her, maybe it’s time to stock a couple!?
It is definitely a bone-in breast.

As for asking questions—the only way I learn how to use the WSM, cook meats I never cooked before, is to ask questions on this forum and watch YouTube videos. Both of which I did to get the results you see here.

So what was your prep method? Finished product looks great. Is the meat seasoned? Or just the skin?

Back