Trying to make a pizza oven out of my Performer

Mike Rudy

TVWBB Member
Hi everybody,

This grill bug has caught me by storm!! We are grilling out virtually every single night and even doing breakfast of the weekends.

Anyways, we love good pizza and like the looks of the Kettle Pizza but would like to make our own and add some mods to it. So far I've got a roll of 50' x 8" roof flashing and a bunch of ss hardware. I'm having a tough time with fitting the roll to the proper diameter to the performer. I'm also unsure where the ring should sit exactly. Can somebody that has a kettle pizza provide a little guidance? The diameter would be helpful and knowing where it sits.

My overall plan is to have a bottom grate with small stone on it and an upper/top grate with a 21" stone on it to keep most of the heat inside the ring/box.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks James. I had already seen that video but when I watched it again just now I learned a little more. He went with the ring on the outside to hold the heat in better he said. Interesting. He also had a plasma cutter. I don't know if I'll be able to cut thru all the layers with my jigsaw or not. Will probably be pretty tough I'd think. Hmmmm...

I wonder if it's just easier and worth it to get the Weber Pizza Oven that they generally only sell in Europe. It looks like a slick design!

The Pizza Kettle rests on the same supports as the grate. You could wrap the flashing around the grate as a template.

I use a bent up pizza pan as a platform to elevate my stone to the same height as the edge of the bowl. On top, consider metal to reflect the heat from a live fire instead of stone, which will absorb and radiate the heat. Kenji over at seriouseats.com has written quite a bit about the Pizza Kettle setup if you haven't come across it yet..

Also, if you're fabricating up your own, you might as well make a plug for the opening and set it up as a rotisserie ring...they're darn near the same product.

I've been working on the homemade pizza insert and so far it's coming out pretty good. I riveted the top and bottom to add some rigidity.

Here's a pic:

Is that ss roof flashing you are using? Can't wait to see how it works out. I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

Hey Nate- No. It's just aluminum. I couldn't find SS. I think it's good up to 1300 degrees roughly. So far so good.

Thanks Mike. Hopefully that works. Looks good so far. Is that a premade pizza you have in there? If so, will you be making your own pizza to test? That's what I'd really like to see.:cool:

It's looking good. I think that you are on the right track.
I bought a KettlePizza several years ago & am less than happy with the product: soggy top.
If you do an internet search... I believe you will find various solutions that you could incorporate into your build.
Maybe I should follow my own advice?

Nate- It's premade dough with fresh toppings...they came out really well. Temp held high and steady for about an hour. Will go all the way out tonight!

Robert-

Thanks! It's been a fun project. Generally, I buy the product and just go from there. But it seemed like I could save money, have fun, learn a little and possibly improve on it...so I went after it.

I ordered a 21" pizza pan to put on top. Maybe that will help with cooking the top a little better. Although, it seemed to do pretty good but just in two attempts.

Back