Trying spares for the first time

Tim Mulvihill

TVWBB Fan
I've done baby backs several times now(with success), and thought I'd venture into the world of spares(besides they are on sale for $1.49/lb).

I was gonna try the 3-2-1 method. When you foil for the "2", do you make sure the foil is tight on the bone side too, or should there be an open pocket between the natural curve of the spares, and taught foil. Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly?????

My opinion: it really doesn't matter. You're just trying to trap a moist environment while blocking direct heat.

I don't foil anything. Shoot for 275 without any water in the pan. Just adjust your lower vents until you hit it. Love how it renders the fat at that temp even though I know 225-250 is much more traditional. Got it from a recipe in one of my cook books and just love the results. I seem to be done on average about 5 hours. Good luck.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I believe that air pockets will soften the bark more. Could be wrong, though, and the tighter you foil, the greater the risk of poking a hole in the foil.

Might as well go ahead and say that I don't foil spares anymore, though, and I've smoked many a slab of them on my bullet smokers, especially my 18.5". Although I'm a fan of foiling, especially when it comes to briskets, I don't think it's a very helpful tool for cooking spares on the wsm. I simply rub the ribs and smoke at 250*-ish with water in the pan until they're tender. My bark is more tender and not as dry as if using a dry pan or smoking on a kettle, and they seem just as moist and juicy as if I foiled them.

Foil is too much work. The way to go is foil free, kinda like free range chickens, no enhancement needed. All natural ribs, cooked between 225 and 250 are the way to go. Confidence is the key, if you have confidence in your ability to manipulate the temps of your WSM, then you can produce great spares w/o the foil. If you are concerned about jerky like exterior just mop the last two hours to keep them from getting that way.

Tim, you'll just have to try it both ways to determine what you like best. :wsm: In fact, they're good both ways, so it's not an either/or thing, IMHO.

Have fun experimenting,
Chris

No, I'm not an absolutist, you can do what you think is right. I'm just lazy, mopping is easier than wrapping in foil. If I could get away with it I wouldn't mop... Then again if BBQ was free I wouldn't cook either, my laziness knows no bounds. I have to breeth but given the choice, my lazy bones would prefer life support, yes that's how lazy my body is.

I'm with John Thom. Some of what I learned came from Dave Russell. Only learned how to do them the way I like them this year through this site and man are they great. Best my friends and family tell me they've ever had. Just rub, no foil, over water, 5 hours thereabouts, 260-275....magic ....and the same works for me with BB's as well but apparently Canadian BB's tend to be a bit thicker cut than yours. I'm watching them after 4 1/2 hours. I've also done beef back ribs twice and just extended the cook time to near 6 hours with excellent results. Also I never lift the lid for the first 3 hours.
Someday I will try other methods but this way is exactly what we like. I've had 3-2-1 foiled ribs before just not cooked them myself. We don't care that much for glazes and sauces on our ribs either, just a matter of preference.

At the end of the day like Chris says try em both ways.

Did ya'll notice that JD is still cooking his ribs without foil over water? Check out his thread on the Comp BBQ forum if you want to see him standing in front of his Grand Champion's $10,000 check. No, old school wsm spares aren't just for backyard cooks, and this is his reply back to me after I asked him how he was cooking, nowadays:

09-17-2012, 08:58 PM #10
J D McGee
TVWBB Pro

So...Dave...to answer you question...here is how we roll these days with our bullets. We use 2 18's and 2 22's for each comp.

Brisket...2 14-16 lb packers on a 22 HNF...dry pan.
Butts...2 6-8 lb bone in on an 18 HNF...dry pan.
Chicken...16 thighs 8 ea on an 18 HNF...dry pan.
Ribs...6 racks LNS on a 22 250 degrees full water pan...no foil.
Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team
PNWBA 2011 Team Of The Year
We Cook On Weber Smokey Mountains

Last edited:
What is "LNS"?

That would be "Low and Slow" in my book. And, I assume "HNF" is for "Hot and Fast".

I believe I'm gonna have to try the "LNS" ribs with water in the pan and no foil. I have been afraid of the mess if I used water in the pan, but I can verify that higher heat with no water can produce a tougher bark if you are not careful towards the end.

Tommy

Yes, Tommy is right about JD's acronyms.

And Tommy, don't be afraid of using water in the pan. Rinsing out the wsm's water pan is the most exaggerated chore of the entire BBQ world, and TO BE 100% HONEST, I spend more time foiling the pan on my 22.5" than I ever would rinsing it out. I spray it with cooking spray before pouring in the water, and use a plastic putty knife to knock any crud off up on the sides.

Back