Trying My Hand at a Standing Rib Roast

MichaelLC

TVWBB Pro
Since the turkey worked well, thought I'd push my luck and a do my first standing rib roast for Christmas on my 18.5" WSM.

Going to follow the TVWB recipe (https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/standing-rib-roast-montreal-steak-rub/) and see how it goes. Just immediate family coming over so only loss will be the cost, not worried about ruining XMas Dinner.

PXL_20211224_034653940.jpg

EDIT: Here's the result. I was quite happy with the result. Had to broil the wife & mother-in-law's slices for a minute. :rolleyes:
PXL_20211224_215815416.jpg

PXL_20211224_232124067.jpg

Last edited:
First things first, Michael, you and I have the same taste in boning knives and cutting boards! :) I have both of those items in your pic!

Second, you aren't going to ruin Xmas dinner......you are going to set a new standard against which all future Xmas dinners are measured! :) Honestly, standing rib is REALLY easy to cook properly. I prefer low/slow, then sear at the end in my 550F oven like Chris' method (though I cook in the oven the whole time, as I don't think smoke adds to this particular cut), but there are lots of ways to get to nirvana.

Good luck, and please show us your awesome results!

Rich

Michael, if the ribs haven't yet been separated from the roast, do it yourself and leave them nice and meaty for either eating as part of the meal or searing later. Don't forget to season the ribs and the bottom of the roast, too.

Did it come trimmed that lean? I like a good fat cap. Makes for better Yorkshire pudding! (Not doing them this year)
No, i trimmed it down, based on the recipe. I know for this cut it's common to leave more fat. We'll see how it goes, I do prefer more crust to fat.

Yes! Made some last year from just a roast in the oven. Didn't quite turn out; too dense, I think.

First things first, Michael, you and I have the same taste in boning knives and cutting boards! :) I have both of those items in your pic!

Second, you aren't going to ruin Xmas dinner......you are going to set a new standard against which all future Xmas dinners are measured! :) Honestly, standing rib is REALLY easy to cook properly. I prefer low/slow, then sear at the end in my 550F oven like Chris' method (though I cook in the oven the whole time, as I don't think smoke adds to this particular cut), but there are lots of ways to get to nirvana.

Good luck, and please show us your awesome results!

Rich
Knife we've had a long time, board I just got this summer; threw out all our old mismatched and got a couple OXOs in every size.

Ha, yeah I'm sure it's will go fine, just so many more variables like weather that you don't have to worry about indoors.

Back