Tri Tips

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I see Aldis has seasoned Tri Tips on sale for $3.99 a lb. I have always thought about trying one after seeing people post them in the gas forum.
What is the best way to gas grill them. I see recipes that say low and slow and some that say hot and fast. Smoke, no smoke?tritip.jpg

Tri-tip is quickly becoming one of my favorite cuts of beef. I just season with salt and pepper, cook indirect on my MasterTouch to an internal temp of about 110 degrees than over the coals for a nice sear and up to about 125-130. Nice and simple, and oh so good.

OK, so you are more in the low and slow group. Are we talking maybe 250-300 indirect until it hits about 110 degrees?

OK, so you are more in the low and slow group. Are we talking maybe 250-300 indirect until it hits about 110 degrees?
Yeah, that is about right. I really don’t concern myself with grill temps. Just use a good thermometer and temp the meat. But I do want my coal to be good and hot for the sear.

OK, I am going to be doing this on a Genesis 1000. I will probably put the front burner on high with the meat towards the back for the cook and then fire them all up and move the meat near the front for the sear. I will be using an instant read probe thermometer.

Tri-tip is my favorite cut of beef, just salt and 16 mesh black pepper. I'm not a fan of the pre seasoned TT.

That's a great price at $3.99, you cant go wrong!

I sear each side about 2-3 minutes over smoking hot coals and then move to indirect until IT reaches 120-125F. Let rest lightly tented with aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes. Slice 3/16" to 1/4" thick and enjoy. Leftovers make excellent tacos.

I do use either oak or pecan woods chunks.

As for kettle temp 300-350F

edit added pictures

Attachments

• BEBDD121-ED90-4587-8FCE-E270FA5991A6.jpeg
    BEBDD121-ED90-4587-8FCE-E270FA5991A6.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 13
  • D986C17C-9311-471E-A916-60B9C086D842.jpeg
    D986C17C-9311-471E-A916-60B9C086D842.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 78FAABE4-D4A0-474F-AF56-54D83F36C521.jpeg
    78FAABE4-D4A0-474F-AF56-54D83F36C521.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I do exactly what ChuckH does, goal is 250 until it hits 110 then super hot sear until between 129 and 133. Tri-tip is one of my favorite.

Bruce,
The other thing with a Tri-Tip is the that the grain switches directions on this cut, so you will want to keep an eye on that. I always make my first cut where the grain changes and then cut each half as I need to to go against the grain. Here is our trusted leader doing a quick video on this.

OK, thanks, I did watch that video some time ago.
Much appreciated everyone for the advice.

Tri Tip on the gas grill is so easy and oh so good. I have done it a couple of times on my Genesis II LX 345. After pre heating with all three burners, I set the left burner to low and the other two off. The temp settles at 275-300* give or take. I use Suzy Q Santa Maria seasoning lightly. The cut goes on indirect to IT of 110* for rare and 120-130* for medium. I then pull it for a short rest tented while the grill heats to sear temperature then back on for a nice char. Oh, and by all means, don't forget the baking potatoes and corn on the cob.

Bruce, that tri tip of yours is going to turn out fantastic I'm sure.

Tri-tip is quickly becoming one of my favorite cuts of beef. I just season with salt and pepper, cook indirect on my MasterTouch to an internal temp of about 110 degrees than over the coals for a nice sear and up to about 125-130. Nice and simple, and oh so good.
This would do you well!

I'm in the low and slow first with a reverse sear finish.

I smoke with mesquite Pellets until 120 internal.

I then rest it for 10 to 20 mins, then cut in half along the seam where the grain changes direction and then reverse sear the two halves

I find doing this I can keep the tip end from over cooking

After the sear I cover with foil to rest again.

Let us know how it turns out
20210611_175015.jpg

The above Pic is pre sear. It is a different cook from the two pics below, but the same approach.

20210620_190422.jpg20210620_191848.jpg

Tri-tip is my favorite cut of beef, just salt and 16 mesh black pepper. I'm not a fan of the pre seasoned TT.

That's a great price at $3.99, you cant go wrong!

I sear each side about 2-3 minutes over smoking hot coals and then move to indirect until IT reaches 120-125F. Let rest lightly tented with aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes. Slice 3/16" to 1/4" thick and enjoy. Leftovers make excellent tacos.

I do use either oak or pecan woods chunks.

As for kettle temp 300-350F

edit added pictures
I'm with you RJ - I'm not a fan of pre seasoned meats from the packing plant, in cryovac either. Even if the marinades they use are "good" the meat is in contact with it for a long time. I've only tried a couple of these in my life time and both were WAY too salty. It's frustrating that Tri-Tip is hard to find for some members and when they find it, it's pre-seasoned.

I'm with you RJ - I'm not a fan of pre seasoned meats from the packing plant, in cryovac either. Even if the marinades they use are "good" the meat is in contact with it for a long time. I've only tried a couple of these in my life time and both were WAY too salty. It's frustrating that Tri-Tip is hard to find for some members and when they find it, it's pre-seasoned.
We did a preseasoned tri-tip yesterday. Agreed, way too salty, and had that “canned meat” taste. I knew better, but it was all I could find locally. Won’t make that mistake again.

Attachments

• 25F446F6-EA5B-4366-83B3-8E83A9AFFE96.jpeg
    25F446F6-EA5B-4366-83B3-8E83A9AFFE96.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 7
I do my tri-tip a little bit different I use at 22 Weber smoker I will Sear both sides each lease for an hour on both sides with a drip pan under Neath it catching dripping with onions garlic salt and pepper beef broth and some water once it reaches internal temperature of 150 I’ll put the try tip inside the pan and cover it with some foil and bring it up to internal temperature to about 200 pull it off and let it sit for about 30 minutes and slice it up it’ll come out like brisket kept the smoker temperature at 250 been doing it that way for 20yrs something different

I do my tri-tip a little bit different I use at 22 Weber smoker I will Sear both sides each lease for an hour on both sides with a drip pan under Neath it catching dripping with onions garlic salt and pepper beef broth and some water once it reaches internal temperature of 150 I’ll put the try tip inside the pan and cover it with some foil and bring it up to internal temperature to about 200 pull it off and let it sit for about 30 minutes and slice it up it’ll come out like brisket kept the smoker temperature at 250 been doing it that way for 20yrs something different
I’ll have to give your TT cooking method a try. It sound delicious.

thanks for sharing.

Back