Tri tip suggestions

John Boehm

TVWBB Fan
I've never cooked tri tip, but I will this week (vacation). It seems that most posts show the meat sliced thin on a sandwich. Is it not good by itself, like steak? I'm looking for any cooking and/or plating suggestions. Thanks

It is very good by itself. Personally I like it sliced as thin as I can slice it and on some garlic bread with a little bbq sauce but you can slice it and serve it however you like, it will turn out great! The worse thing you can do IMO is to overcook it. Good luck and post some pics of your handy work!!

We only eat tri tip sliced about 1/4" on a plate with baked potatoes (cooked underneath the tri tip on the Weber) and french green beans. That's our standard Tri-tip meal. I'll also cube up the ends as it gets more difficult to slice... I call those 'Steak Chunks'! Good stuff!

Med-rare is perfect. Slice it like you would flank steak. Nice and thin.

I've got tri tip tacos with chili-lime rub on the menu for Saturday.

We only eat tri tip sliced about 1/4" on a plate with baked potatoes (cooked underneath the tri tip on the Weber) and french green beans. That's our standard Tri-tip meal. I'll also cube up the ends as it gets more difficult to slice... I call those 'Steak Chunks'! Good stuff!

Thats a great idea, how do the potatoes turn Out?

Biggest thing I have learned on tri tip is to use a probe thermometer when cooking. Regardless of whether you are doing a normal sear and then indirect or low and slow and then reverse sear, the only thing that ruins tri tip is over cooking it. Maybe some of the folks out there with a lot more experience are able to pull it off without using a probe thermometer, but for me trying to do it by feel or just using an instant read has been a crap shoot.

Thanks for the ideas. It was very good on a sandwich, did one bbq and garlic bread, and one chipotle mayo and white cheddar. It was equally good for breakfast as steak and eggs. This will definitely happen again.

My leftovers usually get sliced very thin for sandwiches, but I've been cutting 1/4-3/8" thick slices for dinner. Keep an eye on the grain slicing it because it can switch directions.

We usually slice what we want for dinner and let the rest of it cool. I then toss it on the slicer or slice it really thin for sandwiches. For dinner, I like it with a nice salad.

Hey John, a bit late , but here's a quick tip, Tri-Tip has two grains going in opposite directions. I usually cut mine down the middle, makes it easier to slice against the grain.

Last edited:
not ment to eat like a steak in big chunks. no matter how you cooked it, it would be chewy. thus all the suggestions of cutting thinly. around here you usually find it cooked
all the way through though the process does take hours. think santa maria style. i smother in mustard and let sit for an hour or more then add salt before putting on the grill.
use the reverse sear method and you'll get a nice bark with taste. you will eventually find the way you prefer. use oak smoke for that extra taste that goes with it.

Although conventional wisdom disctates cooking a TT to medium rare I offer a different approach. I often slow cook mine over wood chunks at about 225-250 until no more pink. Somewhere around 2 hours. I dont concern myself with searing the surface because I slice 1/4 inch and against the grain ala Cris' very helpful instructions. I like it this way.

We pick these these up at Sams and vac them up, sometimes nothing on them other times we rub down and jacarred then vac. My wife cooks a mean tritip
BillMc

TriTip can also be grilled like a steak and is very good that way too. You can cut the roast into steaks about an inch and a quarter thick. You can cook a few and freeze a few for later. I like to rub the steaks with a little oil, then sprinkle with granulated garlic, onion powder, and celery salt. Depending upon the temp of your fire, somewhere around 10 to 11 minutes brings them to medium rare. You can experiment with the grilling time and meat temperature. Some mesquite or oak wood chips added to the coals are good as well. Yes you can grill it like a steak, but you will want to slice the tri steak across the grain in to slices as Chris showed in the video, or thinner. Its mighty good this way.

Back