Tri-tip question

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
My butcher recently had tri-tips on sale for roughly $6-$7 apiece. They're cryovac packaged, so I bought a ton to put in the freezer. I have two Performers. I do not have a WSM, and may never acquire one, as I've done well cooking low and slow on the kettle.

Now onto the meat of the matter. Typically I cook tri-tips indirect with a reverse sear. My question is, can I cook tri-tips low 'n slow, and would there be a benefit to doing such?

I recently did a high heat brisket, and after doing it, I doubt I'd ever do an lns brisket ever again. It was that good.

Tri-tips are one of my favorite cuts, but I'm still relatively new to them. I'd like it to become a cut I'm fairly accomplished at. So if anyone has some basic tips about how they approach these, I'd love to hear from you.
icon_smile.gif

I just bot a tri tip and I'm also interested in reading what the experienced folks here have say. If I may, I'd like to ask how many people will I be able to feed with a 2.5 lb tri tip.

I agree with Chris A on his target temp and method, here.
No WSM needed though.
He states:
"You can cook tri-tip "low & slow" at 225-250°F, if you prefer. Cook to the same internal temperature of 125-135°F and finish directly over the hot coals to sear the meat, as described above. It may take two hours or more for the meat to reach your target internal temp."

IMO, cook them hot and fast or low and slow, just don't overcook them.

Dom,
My guess is that 2.5 lbs in sandwiches might feed 7 or 8, as the main course maybe 4 or 5.

No need to cook low and slow.

Traditionly they are grilled direct over coals.. Reverse sear if you wish to get the interior temps up before finishing over coals (especially for thicker cuts).

$6-$7 a piece must be about $2 to $3 a lb. which is not a bad price for Select. Choice is usually $3.00+ a lb on the west coast at Costco.

Last year at a local comp our tritip did us pretty well helping us get Grand Champion. using Spade L Ranch beef rub.

John

Originally posted by J Reyes:
No need to cook low and slow.

Traditionly they are grilled direct over coals.. Reverse sear if you wish to get the interior temps up a it before finishing over coals (especially for thicker cuts).

$6-$7 a piece must be about $2 to $3 a lb. which is not a bad price for Select. Choice is usually $3.00+ a lb on the west coast at Costco.

Last year at a local comp our tritip did us pretty well helping us get Grand Champion. using Spade L Ranch beef rub.

John

Believe it or not, these were labeled as Choice +. I'm inclined to go back and get even more.

First, tell me where you're getting those tri's, Hayden. I'll make a run to Philly to stock up. My local Wegman's just increased theirs to 9.99/lb. I love tri's, but I refuse to pay that much.

I think my method is similar to (if not the same as) yours. I usually put them on indirect at 300-350, and take 'em off about 10 degrees shy of target. At that point, I open up all the vents and offset the lid to get the Performer up to 450+ and sear to finish. Seems to work for me.

Jim

Oh, I should add that I take the tri off the grill while I'm waiting for it to get from 300-450. Only takes a few minutes.

Originally posted by JimK:
First, tell me where you're getting those tri's, Hayden. I'll make a run to Philly to stock up. My local Wegman's just increased theirs to 9.99/lb. I love tri's, but I refuse to pay that much.

I think my method is similar to (if not the same as) yours. I usually put them on indirect at 300-350, and take 'em off about 10 degrees shy of target. At that point, I open up all the vents and offset the lid to get the Performer up to 450+ and sear to finish. Seems to work for me.

Jim

Carl Venezia's. Fabulous family owned, Italian butcher shop on Germantown Pike in Plymouth Meeting.

Originally posted by Bob Correll:
I agree with Chris A on his target temp and method, here.

Dom,
My guess is that 2.5 lbs in sandwiches might feed 7 or 8, as the main course maybe 4 or 5.

Thanks Bob !

The last time I saw tri-tip locally, it was priced at $7.99/lb. My local Sam's can't get it and I am having a heck of a time find a butcher around here.

Thanks for the tip on Carl Venezia's. We have no independent butchers in my neighborhood and they're very close to the new location of the studio I work at, so I'm excited to become a frequent customer there shortly.

Originally posted by Dave_S:
Thanks for the tip on Carl Venezia's. We have no independent butchers in my neighborhood and they're very close to the new location of the studio I work at, so I'm excited to become a frequent customer there shortly.

"New studio..." Hmmmm. That makes me wonder if you're referring to the studio on Johnson Hwy in Norristown, at the corner of Markley Street. You'll love Venezia's. Tell them Hayden sent you.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
"New studio..." Hmmmm. That makes me wonder if you're referring to the studio on Johnson Hwy in Norristown, at the corner of Markley Street. You'll love Venezia's. Tell them Hayden sent you.

Will do!

I work at a recording studio that's been in Spring House for 30+ years called Morningstar, We are currently relocating to East Norriton, and will hopefully be up and running by the end of summer.

Originally posted by Dave_S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:

Will do!

I work at a recording studio that's been in Spring House for 30+ years called Morningstar, We are currently relocating to East Norriton, and will hopefully be up and running by the end of summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live so close, you'll surely have to stop by for a cook and some brews one evening when you get outta work.

My question is, can I cook tri-tips low 'n slow, and would there be a benefit to doing such?
Yes, and moreso if you allow to sit on the counhter an hour or two before cooking.

The warmer temps of your kitchen and then the warmer (but still low) temps of your cooker if cooking low/slow - along with the increased warming/cooking time over cooking hot-and-fast - will allow enzymes in the meat that are responsible for increased tenderness to become active and stay active longer. One enzyme will bhecome inactivated when the meat temp hits 105, the other ~120. So lengthening the time the meat spwnds under these temps is helpful in tenderness terms.

I cook em' on my WSM wide open without the water pan (which is about 375-400 degrees) for about 20 minutes per side.

I leave it out on the counter to warm for about an hour. I cook to 130-135 then let it sit covered loosely with foil for about 15 minutes.

I've done the same on my gasser at medium-high heat for about the same amount of time and finish temp with decent results as well. Much better with some smoke flavor though. I just got a performer this past weekend though and I've got one in the freezer that I have planned to cook on it.

Only one store in my area carries it, Gerbes (Dillons) and it's 6.99/lb. I can find them for 3.50/lb about an hour away when they are on sale, but they have about a half inch of fat on one side. Very flavorful cut of meat.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My question is, can I cook tri-tips low 'n slow, and would there be a benefit to doing such?
Yes, and moreso if you allow to sit on the counhter an hour or two before cooking.

The warmer temps of your kitchen and then the warmer (but still low) temps of your cooker if cooking low/slow - along with the increased warming/cooking time over cooking hot-and-fast - will allow enzymes in the meat that are responsible for increased tenderness to become active and stay active longer. One enzyme will bhecome inactivated when the meat temp hits 105, the other ~120. So lengthening the time the meat spwnds under these temps is helpful in tenderness terms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got two ready to go, and a dozen cryovacced in the freezer. I'm going to do one tonight on high heat that I'm going to use for fajitas using Jack Straw's tequila-lime recipe, and another I'm going to do low and slow after considering your post. It'll be fun to notice the differences.

Anyone have a preferred level of doneness for their tri-tip? I see A.J. appears to be shooting more for the medium-rare portion of the spectrum, which is my general preference with red meat and general, and would seem prudent in this situation given the relatively tough nature of this cut.

Interesting Hayden I was just there about a week or so ago and picked up some flat irons. They didn't have tri's in at the time. Said they would have to order them. Guess that meant they order them in from time to time.

I'm out, so going to give Valencias a try or run to Ely's Farm in Newtown (have to order them ahead).

Might be good to try a couple from each.

I've cooked about 40 or so tri's so far and have pretty much kept to higher heat method. I just start off heat to 110-120 then reverse sear. I do let it rest out for about 2 hours though with the rub applied.

The key for me is not over cooking (keep it to the rare/med rare) and making sure to cut cross grain. Chris A's instructions are excellent and spells out the challenge for proper cutting very well. Well worth the read.

A 2.5 lb has been plenty for 4-6 people and we have left over. But there's usually other stuff on the plate. I like the way these actually "plump up" as they cook. They are easy to over cook (like a steak). Once they get past medium rare the appeal goes down quickly for my tastes.

I've tried marinating them several times but always go back to the standard method. I really like these done with a Suzie Q style rub and served along with chimichurri. Pretty much the standby lately. Along with Santa Maria style beans.

I really like to use one or two occasionally for a Tri Tip Chilli. I have it posted in the recipe section. It's a family favorite now.

Another thing I have done is shave them for Philly Cheese Steaks. Awesome!!

I have used them for fajitas as well - great choice IMHO.

So guess I should consider a low and slow, but the thing I've enjoyed is that they cook fast, have a good marble and taste great. Waiting for a couple hours to get one done just didn't appeal. I'll need to give it a try. Hayden let us know how a lns tri turns out for you.

Well Kevin supplied the science behind the benefit of cooking TT's low and slow so all I can tell you is that I do it all the time and with great results. I love the subtle smokiness I get in the beef. I pull at about 135 and do not add a sear. I am happy with the texture just the way it is.

Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Well Kevin supplied the science behind the benefit of cooking TT's low and slow so all I can tell you is that I do it all the time and with great results. I love the subtle smokiness I get in the beef. I pull at about 135 and do not add a sear. I am happy with the texture just the way it is.

Good info Steve - going to give it a try! Sounds like you are pulling at finish temp then EAT!

Back