Tri Tip Purchase Success in Maryland !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clint elliott:
Oddly enough, I've never Q'd tri-tip but have been using it for Phillies for years. In order to slice it that thin, my butcher has to freeze it for a while prior to and keeps it semi-frozen until I pick it up. I just toss it in with onions, peppers, season with Cavenders and throw some provolone on it. Maybe not the tradtional Philly but what can I say, I'm an Okie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clint,

So where is the Cheese Whiz ????
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds great !

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
the SusieQ rub from your "stash"....man, that stuff is salty !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I forgot to warn you about that. I remebered that I left out that fact on my way home.
icon_redface.gif
I was going to send you an email warning you. Enjoy your pit beef sammie tonight, and your Tri Tip tomorrow.
icon_cool.gif

You know, I'm thinking that a Tri Tip would make some most excellent MD pit beef.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Just now pulled into a rest area--I'm crossing the Mojave at the moment--and lo and behold, 2 dozen dressed Harley's in here, their riders taking a break under the scant shade of the few trees here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> How did my priorities get so screwed up ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is the operative question.
icon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

Where in the Mojave ? I was stationed for 4 years at Edwards AFB....we used to sometimes go up to California City for dinner
icon_smile.gif
Are they seeking shade under a Joshua Tree ? They're in trouble, then....

I graduated from the U of F in Gainesville, FL and moved out there....when we got there, we said....What a hell-hole !!!! Is there anything GREEN out here ?? By the time I left, I LOVED the place (especially Tehachipi)....the high desert has a special appeal....

RE: the priorities....does this mean I have to turn in my "Man Card" ??
icon_smile.gif

Travel safe !

Dean...

I was in the eastern side. Near Essex at the time. No Joshuas there.

Yes, Tehachapi is nice--because it's not desert! Actual trees and grass and such! Snow in the winter.

Now in Barstow. Soon to head down to San Berdu where I'll do the gym and TJ's and Best Buy for a new Bluetooth earpiece. L.A. proper tomorrow.

Re: the priorities..perhaps you need to retrieve your Man Card...?
icon_smile.gif

At first glance one could easily think they have landed on the face of the sun out there in the Desert Southwest, BUT there is a beauty all to itself. It would take a great deal to get me to move back, but the Southwest holds a very special place in my life..... even San Berdu.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n....too many choices!
Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I was in the eastern side. Near Essex at the time. No Joshuas there.

Yes, Tehachapi is nice--because it's not desert! Actual trees and grass and such! Snow in the winter.

Now in Barstow. Soon to head down to San Berdu where I'll do the gym and TJ's and Best Buy for a new Bluetooth earpiece. L.A. proper tomorrow.

Re: the priorities..perhaps you need to retrieve your Man Card...?
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barstow ? Man....that's even worse ! We used to like to hike at "Devil's Punchbowl", south and east of Palmdale ???

We'd go through Barstow (or close) on our way down to San Diego to get to our favorite prime rib place (Bully's) !

You are absolutely right....Tehachapi was NOT a "high desert" place ! We had horses on base, and we'd load 'em up in the trailer and haul 'em up to Tehachapi and ride through the woods....I still remember the smell of the "pines" up there !

Thanks for the "trip" down Memory Lane !

Dean...

You guys are talking about my home town area. I lived in Lancaster/ Quartz Hill, for 17 years. I don't miss much other than the sunsets, and the family that is still there.

Tehachapi is a neat area though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
You guys are talking about my home town area. I lived in Lancaster/ Quartz Hill, for 17 years. I don't miss much other than the sunsets, and the family that is still there.

Tehachapi is a neat area though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

I was back that way, several (many !) years ago.....couldn't believe all the "windmills" along the highway from Tehachapi to EAFB !!

Also, we stopped in Lancaster to eat at my most favorite Mexican place in the world....Casa De Miguel's ! The place was painted pink....boarded up....weeds growing in the parking lot...looked like a whorehouse that had fallen on hard times....errr, make that "bad" times
icon_smile.gif
Man, you can't believe how sad I was.... I think we ended up at "El Toritos" in Palmdale, which was still open....

Dean...

Hands down, this is the best tri-tip I have ever had. We get them all the time from Costco. It's Morton's of Omaha (original flavor). They're real crowd pleasers.

motons.jpg

Yeah, there was a bunch of great Mexican food places there. I grew up going to Don Cuco's. There aren't as many now.

One developer planted a single huge windmill right in the middle of that small lake that you see from the 14 freeway going northbound into Palmdale. Its a massive eyesore, but I'm sure its paid for itself many times over now.

Well Bud, I took one out of the freezer tonight to make for dinner tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.
icon_smile.gif

Sorry, just saw this post. This may have been posted, but in most parts of California the steaks that are cut from a Tri-tip are called "Culotte Steaks".

Finally tracked down some tri's up here, then used Jack's Tequila Lime recipe with a reverse sear. Add in some spanish rice, them's good eats. The wife said it's a keeper, so I think she kinda liked it.

Back