Tri Tip Purchase Success in Maryland !

D Larsen

TVWBB Super Fan
In my other thread, I whined and moaned about the lack of tri tips here in Maryland. Because of a post by Ken Stevens, he steered me to this place :

Here

Well, I went there today and bought 3 frozen tri's @ $5.99/lb (their entire stock on hand !) The woman said...."You must be from California !"
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, very nice folks there...she said to call ahead so they can make sure they have what you want...if you call, she said to make sure to ask for the retail store 'cause the phone rings in the wholesale office....

Can't comment on Treuth's tri quality cause I have zero experience with tri's....I'm sharing this find with Bryan, so maybe he can comment when he cooks his...

So, for you folks in Maryland, who are near the Greater Baltimore area, we DO have a source for tri's besides TJ's !!

Thanks, Ken, for the tip (pun intended !)

Dean...

Poking around in my local Publix, I noticed, for the first time tri-tip but it was all cut up into small chunks.....I asked the meat cutter and she said anytime I want they would be happy to cut me a whole one. I think I'm gonna try one...I hear alot of good things about them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
In my other thread, I whined and moaned about the lack of tri tips here in Maryland. Because of a post by Ken Stevens, he steered me to this place :

Here

Well, I went there today and bought 3 frozen tri's @ $5.99/lb (their entire stock on hand !) The woman said...."You must be from California !"
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, very nice folks there...she said to call ahead so they can make sure they have what you want...if you call, she said to make sure to ask for the retail store 'cause the phone rings in the wholesale office....

Can't comment on Treuth's tri quality cause I have zero experience with tri's....I'm sharing this find with Bryan, so maybe he can comment when he cooks his...

So, for you folks in Maryland, who are near the Greater Baltimore area, we DO have a source for tri's besides TJ's !!

Thanks, Ken, for the tip (pun intended !)

Dean... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congratulations Ken. Good luck with the cook-I am sure you will like the meat.
I have a couple in my freezer and plan to cook one this weekend. I think I will try the Reverse Sear method again that LarryR (among others) have had such great success with.
Enjoy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Martin:
Poking around in my local Publix, I noticed, for the first time tri-tip but it was all cut up into small chunks.....I asked the meat cutter and she said anytime I want they would be happy to cut me a whole one. I think I'm gonna try one...I hear alot of good things about them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhh.....Publix ! I miss that chain....

Did she say how much per pound they'd cost ? Just curious...

Dean...

If you Maryland people start buying up all my tri's I'm going to be pi$$ed.
icon_mad.gif

This is probably the wrong forum, but some of their other stuff is pretty tasty too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Martin:
Poking around in my local Publix, I noticed, for the first time tri-tip but it was all cut up into small chunks.....I asked the meat cutter and she said anytime I want they would be happy to cut me a whole one. I think I'm gonna try one...I hear alot of good things about them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do.

Publix gets them whole. (I don't think they're getting them with the attached ball and flap.) Tell her you just want a whole tri and not to trim it. I haven't been to a Publix yet that doesn't overtrim them. They're as badly done as their brisket flats.

I picked up a couple of tri-tips yesterday at Costco. We have enjoyed them before. What I had not noticed before was they now had what they called tri-tip steaks. It looks like they sliced up our beloved tri-tips. Did not try them....tom

Just picked up a twin pack of Tri tips last night here in Fresno at the local Save Mart for 1.99 lb. Grilled one of them last night indrect heat with a piece of wine barrel, man was it good stuff Maynard.

Oddly enough, I've never Q'd tri-tip but have been using it for Phillies for years. In order to slice it that thin, my butcher has to freeze it for a while prior to and keeps it semi-frozen until I pick it up. I just toss it in with onions, peppers, season with Cavenders and throw some provolone on it. Maybe not the tradtional Philly but what can I say, I'm an Okie.

Ed, you lucky dog. That is a great price.

I just paid $2.99 lb, and was happy for that, and it was untrimmed. I had to put it straight into the freezer though. I couldn't resist the temptation to pick up more overtime at work. So here I am on a Saturday moring, missing my grill.

I think it might be seperation anxiety.
icon_smile.gif

I will likely BBQ this next batch, rather than grill it. I have done a tri that way before and loved how it turned out. It definitely cries out for a bottle of red wine though, to cut the richness.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Just got back from my trip to MD to meet up with Dean, and pick up the Tris from him. We met at a Bar resturant called The Susquehanna right near the Rt 222 and Rt 1 intersection. Dean and I had a nice conversation about Tri Tips, BBQ, Pizza dough, gas prices and of course the Pernil Pork. Well the whole time we are standing in the parking lot the smell from the pit beef is just driving me nuts. Dean said he had to go, and I did try to talk him into getting a pit beef sammie with me but he had to run. Well no way I can leave after smelling this for over a 1/2 hr. I walk into the bar right past the pit that's setup in a screened in porch type deal. Tell the bar tender I would like a pit beef sammie to go and she says $5.85 I pay and stand in a small line just dying to eat this. So I look over on the massive grill and see the beef, ham, and turkey sitting in a warming pan all cooked and charred to perfection. Guy cuts a chunk of beef off and shows it to me and asks if this will do? Yep nice med, med well and starts slicing it paper thin. I get my roll out of the bag put mayo on both sides, thin sliced onions, horseradish, and S&P on the top bun. He piles it high 6-8 ozs of pit beef, and I had noticed there was alot of trimmings laying in the pan along with the meat. So I put a $1.00 in the tip jar and say to the young man those fat pieces sure look good. He smiles and hands me the tongs and says help yourself
icon_cool.gif
I took 3 pieces but in the pic you see there's only one left by the time the pic was taken.
icon_rolleyes.gif
After I was done, I walked back in and shook his hand and told him that it was outstanding. He said thanks and I said on my way out that those fat pieces were like candy. He let out a big laugh and said take it easy. On my way out I noticed the storage door was open and guess what charcoal they use there for the pit beef?

Dean, It was a pleasure meeting you and Thank you again for getting the Tri Tips. Not to rub it in but here's a pic of the pit beef sammie.
icon_biggrin.gif

PittBeef.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Poking around in my local Publix, I noticed, for the first time tri-tip but it was all cut up into small chunks.....I asked the meat cutter and she said anytime I want they would be happy to cut me a whole one. I think I'm gonna try one...I hear alot of good things about them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do.

Publix gets them whole. (I don't think they're getting them with the attached ball and flap.) Tell her you just want a whole tri and not to trim it. I haven't been to a Publix yet that doesn't overtrim them. They're as badly done as their brisket flats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Yum.

What are they using? K? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dude! You're going to love the answer as much as what my eyes saw. Humphrey's Lump.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Just got back from my trip to MD to meet up with Dean, and pick up the Tris from him. We met at a Bar resturant called The Susquehanna right near the Rt 222 and Rt 1 intersection. Dean and I had a nice conversation about Tri Tips, BBQ, Pizza dough, gas prices and of course the Pernil Pork. Well the whole time we are standing in the parking lot the smell from the pit beef is just driving me nuts. Dean said he had to go, and I did try to talk him into getting a pit beef sammie with me but he had to run. Well no way I can leave after smelling this for over a 1/2 hr. I walk into the bar right past the pit that's setup in a screened in porch type deal. Tell the bar tender I would like a pit beef sammie to go and she says $5.85 I pay and stand in a small line just dying to eat this. So I look over on the massive grill and see the beef, ham, and turkey sitting in a warming pan all cooked and charred to perfection. Guy cuts a chunk of beef off and shows it to me and asks if this will do? Yep nice med, med well and starts slicing it paper thin. I get my roll out of the bag put mayo on both sides, thin sliced onions, horeradish, and S&P on the top bun. He piles it high 6-8 ozs of pit beef, and I had noticed there was alot of trimmings laying in the pan along with the meat. So I put a $1.00 in the tip jar and say to the young man those fat pieces sure look good. He smiles and hands me the tongs and says help yourself
icon_cool.gif
I took 3 pieces but in the pic you see there's only one left by the time the pic was taken.
icon_rolleyes.gif
After I was done, I walked back in and shook his hand and told him that it was outstanding. He said thanks and I said on my way out that those fat pieces were like candy. He let out a big laugh and said take it easy. On my way out I noticed the storage door was open and guess what charcoal they use there for the pit beef?

Dean, It was a pleasure meeting you and Thank you again for getting the Tri Tips. Not to rub it in but here's a pic of the pit beef sammie.
icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, you are one cold-hearted ba*$@rd to post that story and picture
icon_biggrin.gif
Instead of enjoying some more conversation, and a sammie, and some trimmings, I got to go home and edge the driveway ! Geez....where did I go wrong in life ? How did my priorities get so screwed up ?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway....it was a blast meeting you and talking Q, pizza, and life in general. I'll work on my pizza dough, and I promise to buy a screen !

Thanks, too, for the SusieQ rub from your "stash"....man, that stuff is salty !! Looks like I'll be doing my small Treuth tri-tip (1.4 lb) tomorrow....after this discussion, my wife, who is going out of town Monday, said I had to cook it before she goes. I tried to talk her in to letting me make the bigger TJ's tri (in case I screw up !), but she said "No way !"
icon_smile.gif
She also says we need to go to Wargo's (our local place that does pit beef on Friday and Saturday) for dinner tonight... I look forward to seeing what your opinion is of the Treuth tri's when you get a chance to cook one. Ken's recommendation sure is a high one !

By the way, on the way back down Rt. 1, the "new" Harley place also had a huge trailer-mounted smoker out, with billowing smoke and a crowd of bikes ! Maybe if these Treuth tri's become a regular thing for us, we can meet there next time
icon_smile.gif
I'll clear my schedule !

I look forward to reading about your pork smoke today in your other thread !

Dean...

Just now pulled into a rest area--I'm crossing the Mojave at the moment--and lo and behold, 2 dozen dressed Harley's in here, their riders taking a break under the scant shade of the few trees here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> How did my priorities get so screwed up ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is the operative question.
icon_smile.gif

You know, Bry, I was thinking Hump because of the area but the 'you'll never guess bit' made me second guess. Gt me thinking 'ggod food, crummy fuel' or some such.

To L.A. then Portland then Vegas...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_Stevens:
If you Maryland people start buying up all my tri's I'm going to be pi$$ed.
icon_mad.gif

This is probably the wrong forum, but some of their other stuff is pretty tasty too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken,

Sorry about that....I warned those west coast people that we're out to create a demand for tri's here, so they won't be finding them next to the Slurpee's, nor laying in the street and attacking innocent people
icon_smile.gif

Treuth's looks like a MAJOR beef operation....I suspect they'll meet (meat ?) our needs, as long as we call ahead...

I'd like to hear about any other recommendations you have about their "tasty stuff"...we thought about getting some ground lamb to try Kevin K's Gyro meat again, but I figure I have too many other recipes I want to try first
icon_smile.gif

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom O:
I picked up a couple of tri-tips yesterday at Costco. We have enjoyed them before. What I had not noticed before was they now had what they called tri-tip steaks. It looks like they sliced up our beloved tri-tips. Did not try them....tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

I've seen several posts that say the tri's are cut in to "steaks"...always wondered what they were called....Thanks !

Dean...

Back