Tri-tip on the WSM

jaystraw

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone,

I’ve been cooking tri-tips on my WSM for a few years now, and I just wanted to outline my method for anyone who is interested. I’ve managed to never screw one up doing it this way, and it’s my favorite way of cooking almost any steak.

Fill up a chimney full of charcoal. I use the Weber hardwood briquettes because I find
they burn the most evenly.

Light the chimney and let it go until it’s ashed over. Place a decent layer of charcoal briquettes over the bottom of the charcoal grate with the ring installed. Dump the chimney on top of the unlit charcoal and let it sit until they’ve all ashed over.

While the charcoal is getting ready, I season the tip with some SPG. That’s it.

Assemble the smoker (no water pan) and check the temperature. When it hits 400° put the steak on the top grate. Cook it for five minutes on each side, flipping it every 5 minutes until it’s done. Usually a 2 to 2 1/2 lb tri-tip will take about 20 to 25 minutes to 130°. I’ve attached pictures of the results from Friday night.

Hope y’all like it. Have a great Sunday!

Attachments

• 01E5A6CB-832A-4FFE-9543-147241EDB443.jpeg
    01E5A6CB-832A-4FFE-9543-147241EDB443.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 2AC8DBF9-723C-4BC6-A9AA-13027BE95FAE.jpeg
    2AC8DBF9-723C-4BC6-A9AA-13027BE95FAE.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 43
  • CB800D70-31F8-4315-8EAD-95FC5EDB4C32.jpeg
    CB800D70-31F8-4315-8EAD-95FC5EDB4C32.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 43
Thanks Guys!
I actually special order these from a butcher in my area who gets meat from Boyden Farms in Verrmont. They have some of the finest beef around.

I might try your method. My tri-tips usually turn out nice but your method sounds like less hassle than my method. Are you covering between flips or just setting the lid aside and not using it at all during the cook?

I like your method because it looks like you could do three or 4 tri tips at once which would be enough for a decent sized get together.

Hey everyone,

I’ve been cooking tri-tips on my WSM for a few years now, and I just wanted to outline my method for anyone who is interested. I’ve managed to never screw one up doing it this way, and it’s my favorite way of cooking almost any steak.

Fill up a chimney full of charcoal. I use the Weber hardwood briquettes because I find

Light the chimney and let it go until it’s ashed over. Place a decent layer of charcoal briquettes over the bottom of the charcoal grate with the ring installed. Dump the chimney on top of the unlit charcoal and let it sit until they’ve all ashed over.

Assemble the smoker (no water pan) and check the temperature. When it hits 400° put the steak on the top grate. Cook it for five minutes on each side, flipping it every 5 minutes until it’s done. Usually a 2 to 2 1/2 lb tri-tip will take about 20 to 25 minutes to 130°. I’ve attached pictures of the results from Friday night.

Great cook, Jay! I think you are the only other person from NH that I've seen on these boards. I grew up in Kensington and Stratham. But for the life of me, I cannot find tri-tip anywhere. Steak tips? Yes!!! Tri-tip, not so much.

I might try your method. My tri-tips usually turn out nice but your method sounds like less hassle than my method. Are you covering between flips or just setting the lid aside and not using it at all during the cook?

I like your method because it looks like you could do three or 4 tri tips at once which would be enough for a decent sized get together.
Sorry for the delay in responding. Busy week at work.
I put the cover on between flips to keep it going at 400 degrees steady, or close to it.

Great cook, Jay! I think you are the only other person from NH that I've seen on these boards. I grew up in Kensington and Stratham. But for the life of me, I cannot find tri-tip anywhere. Steak tips? Yes!!! Tri-tip, not so much.
I used to live in Portsmouth, but now I live over by Keene. I never saw tri-tip out there, but I hear you can get anything at Hunts Point BBQ in Epping. They even have Gold Wagyu brisket. Here’s a link if you don’t already know about them.

Mostly true to my word, I did make tri tip yesterday, and did try your method, but I started experimenting with my fire set up (way heavy on wood chunks), and had to reverse sear, and didn't take any photos during the cook as there were many distractions. I did however concoct a horseradish sauce that turned out nice. I did a short post on it a few moments ago; https://tvwbb.com/threads/emergency-horseradish-sauce-could-be-my-new-standard.83469/

Hey everyone,

A WSM and you didn’t smoke it?

The bbq gods may not be happy! :)

I used to live in Portsmouth, but now I live over by Keene. I never saw tri-tip out there, but I hear you can get anything at Hunts Point BBQ in Epping. They even have Gold Wagyu brisket. Here’s a link if you don’t already know about them.

Hunts Point rocks!!! Thanks for the link. Amazing products...had ourselves a wicked pissah. Hope Keene's treating you well!

Back