Tri Tip on the WSM

Jack O

TVWBB Member
Hello people, has anyone smoked a Tri Tip roast on the WSM? I have been cooking these roasts on my Weber Kettle with indirect heat which takes me about 45 - 60 minutes and then let it rest for 20 minutes.

I was wondering if cooking this roast on the 18.5" WSM on low and slow heat might product a more tender and flavorful roast? What are your thoughts?

Jack

That article would not be found by the discussion forum search engine. It's part of The Virtual Weber Bullet website, a companion to these forums. TVWB is advertised at the top of the homepage, assuming you're not using AdBlocker on Firefox or Chrome.

About searching for tri-tip...that phrase really throws the discussion forum search engine for a loop. It turns out that searching for "tritip" works best.

Regards,
Chris

That article would not be found by the discussion forum search engine. It's part of The Virtual Weber Bullet website, a companion to these forums. TVWB is advertised at the top of the homepage, assuming you're not using AdBlocker on Firefox or Chrome.

About searching for tri-tip...that phrase really throws the discussion forum search engine for a loop. It turns out that searching for "tritip" works best.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris. That post mostly describes cooking at 350 -375 with a short paragraph at the end indicating that you could cook the Tri Tip Low and Slow. I was wondering if any folks on here have tried the Low and Slow method. The video on slicing Tri-Tip was very informative on the different grain directions and the BBQ Pit Boys video is informative and entertaining.

Jack

I like to smoke em indirectly until they get to 100 internal temp. Then slide it over the coals and keep turning and flipping till 125 internal. Remove and foil tent for about 20 minutes and then slice against the grain (which can be tricky because the last couple of tri's I have done the grain has changed a couple of times throughout the roast).

I love bbqin tri around 230-250. Long story short I treat it like a small brisket and it pretty much comes out like one except often not quite as dry. It may be dryer then what your used to on the grill (I like grilling them too) but the tenderness often seems much better. Dont forget to rest.

Wasn't there a tri-tip cook on season 3 of pitmasters where the tri got cooked to 200 internal.....and it was tender!!!!:confused:

i mean that temperature for cookin it, not internal. Im not sure what the internals were at, I just poked it w/ a kabob skewer till it felt slice-able. you may as well try a nice big one while your at it. theres also some rubs I think in the cooking topics somewhere (I think) for tri. I don't use them but I have and there probably a good place to start if you like.

Last edited:
i mean that temperature for cookin it, not internal. Im not sure what the internals were at, I just poked it w/ a kabob skewer till it felt slice-able. you may as well try a nice big one while your at it. theres also some rubs I think in the cooking topics somewhere (I think) for tri. I don't use them but I have and there probably a good place to start if you like.

Dan, For a 3 # Tri Tip at 225 - 250, do you recall how long you let it smoke? The link that Chris added above has a short video describing the change of grain direction on the Tri Tip and shows how he cuts it.

Jack

Hello people, has anyone smoked a Tri Tip roast on the WSM? I have been cooking these roasts on my Weber Kettle with indirect heat which takes me about 45 - 60 minutes and then let it rest for 20 minutes.

I was wondering if cooking this roast on the 18.5" WSM on low and slow heat might product a more tender and flavorful roast? What are your thoughts?

Jack

Jack a tri tip does not have the internal fat to benefit much from low and slow. Which means a low and slow cook may make it a dry piece of meat. May want to reverse sear it to improve cooking it. Search the "Grilling" forum for Reverse Sear method.

honestly no, I cant but I would think it would be 4 or 5 hours (don't hold me to it, there all different) just poke it about 1 hour into the cook, and remember how (tough) it felt to start. Then wait for it to become more tender then that minimum. Likely it will be much more tender. Sometimes foiling the leaner ones tword the end for a while helps even them out in the past for me and helps to not dry them out. Your experience will guide you After 2 or 3, then you'll probably do better then me as i TRY not to be too technical. That is if I don't have to be ;) These really are one of my favorite things to bbq.

Last edited:
You can also just give em a good sear to start and then let them rest off to the side until 125-130 internal. The key is to let em rest because when I have been in a rush to serve supper the juice pours out of em just like a steak will if not rested properly.

You can also just give em a good sear to start and then let them rest off to the side until 125-130 internal. The key is to let em rest because when I have been in a rush to serve supper the juice pours out of em just like a steak will if not rested properly.

Scott, I have seen that when my wife was in a rush for dinner and I got that "rest my ***" and get the dinner on the table. Well, she didn't like that roast and now she understands the rest period!

I use the recipe from the Weber cookbook that the Dueling Bubbas had. It is cooked to a internal of 200. Cooked at 245 the whole time. It is different then how most Tri Tip is cooked but is something you need in your arsenal. My family request it this way and is how I cook it for crowds.

Back