Tri-tip on the Santa Maria Grill

Karl Repsher

TVWBB Fan
As promised, here's some action shots and what could be better to cook on a Santa Maria Grill than a couple of tri-tips, sure brings back fond memories of cruising main street of Santa Maria on a Saturday afternoon, with the aroma of beef in the air from all of the vendors on the side streets cooking tri-tip, ...tri-tip sammies, Paquito beans and garlic bread, yumm........

a6n5.jpg

The largest one weighs just under two pounds at about $5 per pound

6ra1.jpg

Seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder, wrapped in plastic and into the fridge overnight.

orj3.jpg

Decided to grill up some chipolatas sausage too.

6pgm.jpg

Fire! I closed the vents this time, I'm finding there is a learning curve to cooking over wood.

pqnx.jpg

The fire has died down to just coals, I started the fire with "Yaka" hardwood scraps from the cabinet shop, then placed a couple of chunks of Iron Wood on top, time for the tri-tips.

fre1.jpg

Voilà, thirty-five minutes later and the internal was at 138°, wrapped them in foil to let them rest in a cooler.
This grill is really good for the flare-ups kind of meats, I moved the tri-tips to the side and cooked the sausage direct, just raising the grill to escape the flames, wrapped all but six in foil and into the cooler, the remaining six were for munchin' while waiting for the tri-tips.

fmlf.jpg

After resting for about an hour and a half I thin sliced the larger one for tri-tip sammies served on hamburger buns with a Sweet Baby Ray's clone sauce and fries on the side, sorry, I didn't have time for a plated pic (that's a problem at my house, when BBQ'ing the family smells the meat and decide to come over to visit, when the food is ready, ...well just don't be standing in the way), here's the small one that I kept hid in the cooler until after everyone left, sliced for dinner the next day.

gh4q.jpg

While the tri-tips were resting we cooked a tomato Pie for desert.

u2et.jpg

I love tomato Pie!!!

dkmx.jpg

There ya go friends, New Zealand Angus tri-tip cooked on a Santa Maria Grill in Tahiti, I hope you enjoyed lookin' as much as I enjoyed the eatin'.

Thanks for all of your encouragement,

Karl

Bill, thank you

Dwain, thanks, I didn't know about the throw down.

Tony, Thanks for the compliment.

Brian, thanks and I'll post the recipe in the appropriate section.

Paul, thanks, I hope you snagged it, I talked the butcher at the supermarket into ordering some, they don't use them for BBQ, but rather a Chinese dish, beef and veggies.

Mike, thanks for the kind words, like I said, I'll post the recipe in another section.

Karl

Karl, tri-tip on a home made Santa Maria style grill...very nice! What would you compare the chipolatas sausage to?

Karl, everything looks perfect, the food and the grill!
I know what you mean about learning to cook over live fire, I'm still workin' on it.

Tri-tip has to be one of my favorite things to grill/bbq. I've smoked them, grilled them, indirect grilled them… probably my favorite thing.

Bob H., thanks for the compliment, I can't give you a comparison because the only sausage I ever ate in the States was some Jimmy D and frozen breakfast sausage, since I started smoking I've made most of the most popular American sausages, but I don't know if mine tasted like the original, the Chipolatas are made with pure pork and very little if any spices added, ...if that helps, kind of bland, but good roasted over a fire.

Thank you Bob Correll, it's a challenge, I'm thinking we have to use only hard wood, that's probably why they use oak in Santa Maria, not so much for the flavor, but because t's readily available and burns slow.

Dean, thanks, I posted the recipe in the Dessert Section.

Kurt, I hear ya, we really like them too.

Keith, thank you for the kind words.

Karl

Back