Trader's Tri Tip with MINI potatoes

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
the latest posts of tri tip cooks got me yearning for the hard-to-find-in-Wisconsin treat
butt i did remember Trader Joe's does sell pre-packaged tri's... so i went there to satisfy my hankerin'

IMG_0910.JPG

bought a number of these, various weights ranging from 1.5 to 2.35lbs
this one scaled at 1.95lbs

IMG_0912.JPG

seasoned with a tri tip rub recipe from WEBER'S BIG BOOK OF GRILLING (page 108)

IMG_0914.JPG

fired up the chimney with some Cowboy lump...

IMG_0921.JPG

then set the tri over hickory flames to sear...

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

about 5 minutes each side, then indirect for a while... oh yeah, added the mini potatoes...

IMG_0927.JPG

cute little guys, ain't they? :D

IMG_0929.JPG

also tossed on the grill, some buttered mushrooms....

IMG_0930.JPG

the tri was nearly done....

IMG_0931.JPG

the 'shrooms, just gettin' started....

IMG_0932.JPG

and the tini-tiny taters are done.

IMG_0933.JPG

and is the beef.

IMG_0934.JPG

finish up those 'shrooms....

IMG_0939.JPG

add some 'gus....

IMG_0940.JPG

after a ten to 15 minute rest, the steak was sliced thin....

IMG_0941.JPG

...and served up nicely. Thank you very much;)

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

DEEEEE-LISH-US!!!

Thank you for stoppin' by, So long!

Jim,that tri looks good!
And I LOVE the teeny taters from TJs. We been meaning to get to TJs,but the weekend is just to short and the chores are just too many! But,I will change that soon!

I noticed some nice looking meat at our traders today.

Nice looking meal Jim.

Jim I gotta tell ya..this...
750CD798-B443-4B9B-AE29-15846F41C18D-1856-000002A5E457FF50.jpg

Has to be the best plated meal ever!! Man if I ever had to have a "last meal"...this would be it!!

Great looking dinner Jim.

I get my tri's at TJ's too.
$6.99 lb my way. It's $2-$3 a lb less than almost everywhere else.

Maybe one day I'll find a tri tip around here. No one carries them, no one. The closest trader joe's is a four hour drive, even the local butcher shops, actually only one, never has them, the guy said, you're the first to ever ask.

And, I have a second chimney, a little rusty perhaps, but no holes, I'll swap you for a tri tip sent my way. Dry ice should get it here.

Now that that's said, your meal looks quite good, wish I were there............................d

Maybe one day I'll find a tri tip around here. No one carries them, no one. The closest trader joe's is a four hour drive, even the local butcher shops, actually only one, never has them, the guy said, you're the first to ever ask.

And, I have a second chimney, a little rusty perhaps, but no holes, I'll swap you for a tri tip sent my way. Dry ice should get it here.

Now that that's said, your meal looks quite good, wish I were there............................d

Try Restaurant Depot David, if there's one close to you.
If you're a KCBS member - you can get a one day pass to shop anytime.
Just bring the printout from KCBS' website and your KCBS card.

Try Restaurant Depot David, if there's one close to you.
If you're a KCBS member - you can get a one day pass to shop anytime.
Just bring the printout from KCBS' website and your KCBS card.

At least a two hour drive to the closest one. I'll keep looking, but not going to great lengths or hours of driving just for one cut of meat. I'll take solice in the fresh seafood available.............................d

At least a two hour drive to the closest one. I'll keep looking, but not going to great lengths or hours of driving just for one cut of meat. I'll take solice in the fresh seafood available.............................d

Yeah - I probably would too.
I think I'd trade the availablility of Tri's for fresh seafood day in.

Just cook a steak :cool:

Nice looking plate there buddy ! Try getting a hold of a santa maria style rub (amazon) . I'm here in California where tri tip is king and Santa Maria Ca is the mecca for tri tip ....amazing rub ! Love the potatoe's in the cast iron ...nice touch!

Back