Trader Joe's Charcoal

Curt

TVWBB Fan
OK, another newbie question.
I'll be doing my first smoke tomorrow, ribs because kids want them, and a LOT of them, and I'll be using Kingsford because it seems the safe bet for a rookie.
However, I just picked up an 18 lb. bag of Trader Joe's Hardwood Briquettes. Does anyone have experience with these? Good stuff? Worth using, or did I just burn $6.99?

Thanks Bob.
I've actually heard of Rancher but didn't make the connection.
Sounds like I'd be safe using it for my first smoke. Decisions, decisions...

Curt, I always use Trader Joe's charcoal - it works great in WSM. In L.A. at least, they don't sell it in the winter, so I buy a bunch to hold me over.

i wish that we could get good charcoal for such low prices here in canada.
icon_frown.gif

Used Trader Joe's charcoal, purchased (along with some Trader Joe's brand beer and some Two Buck Chuck) in Indianapolis on my way to Michigan for the 4th, for my 4th of July butt cook in my WSM. A good solid 12 hour burn. All the coals burned to ash, and temps were very consistent. More than moderate amount of ash, but that's to be expected with briquettes.

I bought two bags and used most of one for teh cook. I used the rest of the first bag grilling burgers. Left the 2nd bag to use when we go back over Labor Day.

I'd buy this stuff on a regular basis if there was a Trader Joe's anywhere near here.

Pat

I just use <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> in the WSM which has work great for the long cook times.

I use TJ's and Stubbs for grillin in the kettle with mixed reviews. The wife doesn't like TJ's at all but likes Stubbs, so you can guess what I use
icon_biggrin.gif

There is definitely a difference in the taste between the two but I don't mind either one.

Did my first cook with TJ briqs a few weeks ago and had a really hard time getting it lit in chimney starter. Ended up starting some K and putting it on top of full ring of TJ.

Has anybody else had this issue? Overall, I was very happy with the results.

It does take a little longer to start TJ charcoal but, it is great charcoal. If I can't get lump, I will only use TJ's. It last loooong for an overniter and has very little ash. It has a nice even burn.

I just bought some TJ's charcoal too. I have been reading that it takes longer to get started. Has anyone had an issue using TJ charcoal with the minion methind due to it not lighting as easy? Meaning the lit coals do not ignite the unlit coals?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince D:
I just bought some TJ's charcoal too. I have been reading that it takes longer to get started. Has anyone had an issue using TJ charcoal with the minion methind due to it not lighting as easy? Meaning the lit coals do not ignite the unlit coals? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use TJ (Rancher) exclusively in my smokers and yes they might take a little longer to start but always do and always ignite the unlit with no problem. I get 18 pound bags for $6.99 so come late August I always stock up with at least 20 bags to get thru the "off season"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Bordeaux:
Definitely check again. The bags looks somewhat similar, but I highly doubt TJ's is carrying Cowboy brand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool I will check this weekend! Hopefully I just read it wrong or glanced at it wrong...TJ's is only a few blocks away from me so that would be sweet! Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince D:
I just bought some TJ's charcoal too. I have been reading that it takes longer to get started. Has anyone had an issue using TJ charcoal with the minion methind due to it not lighting as easy? Meaning the lit coals do not ignite the unlit coals? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use TJ (Rancher) exclusively in my smokers and yes they might take a little longer to start but always do and always ignite the unlit with no problem. I get 18 pound bags for $6.99 so come late August I always stock up with at least 20 bags to get thru the "off season" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We'll I used the TJ charcoal and liked it. I had a solid burn at 235 for 6+ hours. Then it dropped to 210 so I just needed to poke the fire a little becasus of some ash build up. Went back to 235 for the rest of the smoke (2 hours)untill I shut the dampers to kill the fire. I'm sold....

Back