Trader Joe's BBQ rub ( coffee and garlic) ?

Sandy B

TVWBB Super Fan
has anyone tried it ? Im thinking of splitting a rack of St-Louis ribs with one half getting my traditional rub and the other getting this new rub that I picked up and which smells ( and tastes off the end of my finger) very strongly of coffee.

im somewhat afraid that instead of cooperating, the smoke and coffee will end up competing with each other. im sure someone has tried it, if so any feedback ?

thanks

Go for it. While I haven't used them on pork, I have a couple coffee based rubs I like to use when grilling steaks. They do great with charcoal/smoke.

Go for it. While I haven't used them on pork, I have a couple coffee based rubs I like to use when grilling steaks. They do great with charcoal/smoke.

I've had coffee based ribs yes grilled steaks but never got foods on the smoker. I'm somewhat leery of coffee ( which is the primary ingredient) and smoke dancing together in harmony.

We had a coffee rub somewheres I can't remember where but to my surprise it was great. If it wasn't ribs, it was pulled pork

I have a different rub with ancho chile, garlic and coffee in it called Sunny Oaxaca from The Spice House, that I believe is a division of Penzeys.
It is an interesting rub, but I would apply it a bit more sparingly on your ribs until you decide that either you like it, its going to be an acquired taste,
or you don't like it. But it does add another dimension when I use it when making chili.

Well the verdict is in. Although the st-louis ribs coated in the trader Joes rub was good, the homemade rub based on the rendezvous rub was preferred by most. That's not to say the TJ rub was bad, it's not and I can see that some would consider it the cats meow. But in my opinion it's not great and will be relegated to grilling duties.

I've got it but haven't tried it yet... A dark rub with coffee in it is best used with beef in my experience... I will have to give it a whirl...
df52a8fca96d8e32d3873ea165c967a5.jpg

Not long ago I heard of using coffee grounds in a rub. I didn't have any smoked paprika so I tried out the grounds thinking the same thing. On a PB I found no coffee flavor or smell. With my experience the smoking process sort of neutralizes most odors and flavors of "strong" ingredients. All the coffee did for me was add some color which I liked.

I bought it about a month ago and have been planning on doing a pepper stout beef with it. Thinking it will happen by the weekend. I will let you know the results.

I just saw this rub today...I tend to grind my own beans for the coffee rub, and only use on steaks. Capital grille uses kona beans in their Kona crust for steak, it's awesome, but can't replicate to well.

Back