Top rack not secure on WSM 18.5

Grant Narita

TVWBB Fan
Hello everyone,

Just put together my first WSM. One thing that bothers me is the top rack is not secure. It sits on the top of the four grate brackets...But you can move the grate on the top so one of the three will not support it, and the grate/rack can tilt over. At first I thought I had the smaller grate on top but I checked and I did have the larger one on top. Is everyone's like this? I don't know why they don't make the top of the brackets longer so you are unable to accidentally have only three brackets supporting the grate, causing it to tilt on the one side where the grate doesnt have support. I don't believe mine is faulty since everything else seems up to par.

Last edited:
I've never seen that, my grate fits perfectly over all 4 brackets. Maybe the brackets for the middle grate were swapped with the top brackets. Not sure if they are the same size or not. Very odd.

Ya, I know and agree with your comments. You just have to make sure before you put meat on that the grate is resting on all the tabs

My grate moves a bit but not enough to tilt over. Could be a defect. My first WSM came with one set of drilled holes missing in the body.

Had an issue with my top grate! Then one day I put the grate on the ground, and I noticed one side was up in the air! There was a 1cm difference (out of whack) rang weber up and they courier me out a new rack the next day, problem fixed!

Grant, this is common.
to correct this problem, simply find four washers and install them between the inside wall of the WSM and the brackets, thus moving the lip of the grate supports further toward the center of the smoker giving the food grate more of a base to sit upon...
it may require more than one washer per bracket.

Grant, this is common.
to correct this problem, simply find four washers and install them between the inside wall of the WSM and the brackets, thus moving the lip of the grate supports further toward the center of the smoker giving the food grate more of a base to sit upon...
it may require more than one washer per bracket.

Thanks! I actually thought about this and then after I installed the washers I found that others wrote about that being the fix. it's all good...

Back