Too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewjeff

TVWBB Member
What techniques do you have to keep the temp down?

I was using lump with the minion method
doing BRITU and sausages. It was 90+ degrees outside. My WSM is in the shade.

I could not keep the temp below 250 and sometimes it soared to 280+. And that
was 250 on the bottom grate.

Bottom vents were all closed, top open.
I filled the Brinkman waterpan with cold water.

Is there anything you can do?

Add ice to the pan, burp the lid, but consider this 250 is not a bad temp for Q'n.
280+ will burn the rub possibly, but 250 I wouldn't worry about.
Jim

When all else fails, you can partially close the top vent. I've never had to do this to control temp, but then again I don't use lump charcoal. I think Stogie has done this with some success, if I remember correctly.

Also, make sure to read the tips on the Temperature Control Troubleshooting page.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 06-18-2001).]

Good afternoon:
I too had struggled with this issue until I tried the following and have not had a too-high temp problem since. My unscientific reasoning went like this: when following the Minion Method, if I do not fill the fuel circle completely to the brim with briquettes but depending on the poundage of meat I am smoking use a more measured amount, then the average resulting temps would have to be lower accordingly. Using this brilliant(!!) deduction, adjusting the top vent occasionally as Chris suggested, and even lifting the lid at random, unnecessary times has made this issue a problem of the past for me. Hope this helps.
?John

Thanks everyone... John's comments hit the "oh yea, of course" nerve.

I was smoking a small amount of meat (1/2 rack and 3 smallish sausages). Also, I did use a full fuel circle...not sure what I was thinking there since I essentially wasted some good maple lump.

Live and learn...

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back