Too hot and dry to smoke? Safety tips please

Petra Z

TVWBB Member
I'm planning to smoke a pork loin or two Sunday evening for my mom and dad's visit (they are driving from PA to the HoosierLand). Should take only 2.5 hrs. But, like much of the US, my area is not only hot (we set a record high today of 105°F/41°C). And it's windy to boot. That's bad enough, but we are in a severe drought situation as well. Grass crunches and is brown. Even the weeds are struggling (which, coincidentally, make up a good portion of my lawn
icon_wink.gif
So there is plenty of dry vegetation. My WSM sits on an 8'X8' patio with pavers, sharing the space with a Weber kettle and another grill. That patio is surrounded by very dry grass. I would like to smoke these loins as safely as possible, without any embers dancing on over to the grass. I plan to regularly dowse the patio pavers with water from a watering can. And after the smoking session, I was going to pour some water over the coals remaining inside the smoker. Is this okay? Any other tips? Should I just call it off? I should mention that I'm pretty neurotic and slightly paranoid about house fires. Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

It's a good case for using something other than a "sparky" lump, that's for sure, but if it was me, I'd feel ok since cooking on the patio. But on the other hand, make your own judgement since the wind is the real issue...thankfully you do have a patio, though.

Like I implied though, generally, briquettes are much less prone to sparking, and no, I wouldn't douse the coals after the cook. Weber actually advises not to because of possibly damaging the porcelain enamel. Just make sure the vents and door is on nice and tight. Only way there's an issue after that is if an animal or child knocks the smoker over. Sounds ridiculous, but my cousin's friend actually had that happen on an overnight with a water smoker (Brinkman) on a deck. Burned the whole place down....but don't call me neurotic or paranoid. Just covering the bases, and yes, I like to play it safe.

In all honesty, using the WSM there is no danger of sparking.

The only time you might have an issue is the initial lighting of the fuel in the chimney. Obviously, be careful ( have a hose handy with a wide-spray nozzle ) when you do the light/transfer.

That transfer is probably the most troublesome in your situation.

Once they're going and in the WSM, there is no issue.

I agree that my experiences with my WSM would lead me to feel safe. The unit is so well contained that the only issue should be when you light the charcoal in your chimney and transfer it to the fuel chamber. Then again this may be a good time for you to stress the importance of you sitting there the entire time watching the smoker, probably best if you keep a cold beer handy to keep you from getting too hot.

Enjoy,
Mike

If you are concerned about the dry grass, water it for an hour just before you start the fire. It will stay wet/damp while you get the charcoal going. Keep a hose handy and after you're done cooking just shut all of the vents. It was hot and bone dry here last year and my patio is not much bigger than yours. No problem using charcoal with the WSM next to my dead grass, even though I didn't water it.

Petra, the other thought I had was that for your peace of mind you could sit the WSM in a water heater drip pan like this one. Drip Pan

Just put a couple of inches of water in it and you are good to go.

Thank you all for your tips! I feel much more confident and will be making those pork loins (assuming not too windy). You guys are the best!

Petra.
I use one of these as a quick wind break.
It's tall enough to shield the bottom vents from any stiff breeze and also acts as a container for the occasional stray coal or hot ash. You could grab one from HD in the cleaning isle for about $20.00 last time I checked.
Action shot in this thread.

Tim

FYI, the pork was delicious and very well received! Winds were light. I did sprinkle the patio with water prior to lighting the coals. Did the same when I grilled roadside chicken a couple of days later. I'm thankful that, unlike many, I didn't have to deal with any power loss either--good for the homemade cheesecake ice cream that served as dessert!

The tub idea is great, Tim--thanks!

Now, if only we could have a nice soaking rain!

Back