Tonight's Beef Substitute

JSaus

TVWBB All-Star
I walked from the steaks, shaking my head and looking for a more affordable meal. I never buy pre-seasoned meats but was looking for something different. I spotted a Smithfield "Golden Rotisserie flavor" pork tenderloin among other flavor offerings. Having no idea what a golden rotisserie tasted like, I bit. I was a bit disappointed that the silverskin had not been removed as it was a sloppy mess to do with the seasoning already on.

I am pleased to tell you that it was excellent and I would buy it again. Mild flavor and especially tender. I still can not tell you what it actually tastes like, just good.

Attachments

• Tenderloin.jpg
    Tenderloin.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 19
  • tenderloin cut.jpg
    tenderloin cut.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 19
They are easy enough to work with in basic form, the ridiculous amounts of sodium they process those things with are flat out unhealthy! Can’t be that good.
Well, for under $5.00 maybe but, I can do a lot when these are on a buy one/get one deal. Divide and conquer, I break them down into singles and have them ready for thawing from morning, and, under a marinade by lunch.

Last edited:
I walked from the steaks, shaking my head and looking for a more affordable meal. I never buy pre-seasoned meats but was looking for something different. I spotted a Smithfield "Golden Rotisserie flavor" pork tenderloin among other flavor offerings. Having no idea what a golden rotisserie tasted like, I bit. I was a bit disappointed that the silverskin had not been removed as it was a sloppy mess to do with the seasoning already on.

I am pleased to tell you that it was excellent and I would buy it again. Mild flavor and especially tender. I still can not tell you what it actually tastes like, just good.
Looks awesome. I am a fan of those Smithfield pork tenderloins, I just wish they would go easy on the salt.
You may know this already, but using a dry paper towel to grip the membrane makes removing it much easier, especially when pre-seasoned.

I buy these from time to time, I just try to use a more sugar based rub, & I like to smoke them, they always turn out delish!

You may know this already, but using a dry paper towel to grip the membrane makes removing it much easier, especially when pre-seasoned.
I do that with ribs but never had much luck with plain tenderloins. Will try if I ever buy more of these pre-seasoned things. I did not look at the sodium level, but you are right, it is probably nuts.

I buy them also, yep salt is high on just about any thing these days in order to prolong shelf life, all of the different flavors have been good, I use for a quick meal either on the grill or thrown into a 450 degree toaster oven for 30-45 minutes.

Looks like you did mighty fine!

My local store has Smithfield tenderloins on sale several times a month. They have the natural and seasoned at half price. I always choose the natural as I don’t care for salt.

Costco and Sam's both have nice sized vacuum packed unseasoned pork tenderloins very cheap. Sadly I have more than I need of them in my freezers because wife has an allergy to pork so it's not a meat I can make often and am stuck on beef, chicken and sometimes lamb.

I do that with ribs but never had much luck with plain tenderloins. Will try if I ever buy more of these pre-seasoned things. I did not look at the sodium level, but you are right, it is probably nuts.
If I think or mostly know the sodium is high I just wash off and add only a rub no salt as you can be sure the salt has already been absorbed. They always come out great.

Back