Tongs and Spatula Set

I have the Weber tongs but find that the ends have too much of a cavity for my taste. They are very well built and heavy enough that I use them for the firepit to move full logs around, so I definitely like them for that.

I actually started a tongs thread recently as I found some amazing ones to replace my trusty old charcoal and grate lifters that I had for 20 years that got lost in a move.

Thread 'My opus on tongs...' https://tvwbb.com/threads/my-opus-on-tongs.89786/

Yah, I was in three Home Depots earlier this week and they all had their Weber grill accessories on sale. Wire grate brushes and grilling utensil sets. They still seemed a bit high priced, but probably a good discount from full price.

I saw recently that Weber has a new line of tools with the "Precision" name. It's not clear to me if they are discontinuing the old set, and, if not, where this set fits in. I like the looks of the spatula a lot. You can buy it separately. This is the large set at Home Depot and includes a silicone sauce brush:

Makes sense they would discontinue the old set. I was at three HD's the other day and all of the Weber Cooking Utensil sets were marked down.

Just adding a comment here. I definitely like the looks of the new "precision" tools but noticed that the spatula doesn't have the dogleg "dip" that the older premium one had. That would be totally fine for gas grilling, but on a kettle or other grill where the grate sits well below the edge of the grill, that dip is a nice touch.

It would seem a given even for a gas grill. Otherwise, I see some knuckles butting up against the hot front lip of a Genesis cook box.

My local Lowes has the two piece set, spatula and tongs for about $13 on clearance.
My Lowes is really trying to dump theirs. I bought two tong and spatula sets for $6.67 each! They still had more, and I was tempted. But what would I do with them all? I plan to use one set I bought as a gift.

It seems clear that the current “Premium” version has been discontinued and that they are making shelf space for the new “Precision” ones. I like the new one’s looks, but for a kettle I think the old model would work better. I hope the new tongs are an improvement.

Not sure if this is helpful, but here's a couple of comparison shots of the old Premium and the new Precision. Charcoal briquette for scale.

• New ones are noticeably heavier. Oddly through the tongs were an extra 3oz, it was more noticeable in the spatulas.
  • New spatula has a bigger surface and much more of an edge.
  • Not sure I like the new locking mechanism on the Precision tongs. On the Premium, you pull or push the metal loop; so I could hit that into my leg to unlock while holding, then click the tongs twice of course. New one is a toggle(?) where you slide the loop into Locked or Unlocked; not sure if it will be as easy with one hand.
  • Think the new metal loops will be better - crimp part way down may help secure them better.

PXL_20220206_184336944.jpg
PXL_20220206_184539181.jpg
PXL_20220206_184558369.jpg

Thanks for posting those, Michael. I might get one of those spatulas. They look like a significant upgrade, although as I says before, I think the old design - with its “dip” - would better fit a kettle or other grill where the cooking grate sits well below the edge of the grill,

Thanks for posting those, Michael. I might get one of those spatulas. They look like a significant upgrade, although as I says before, I think the old design - with its “dip” - would better fit a kettle or other grill where the cooking grate sits well below the edge of the grill,
My daughter bought this for me from Big Poppa Smokers. Big dip and we’ll made.
E687A733-F053-4FB0-A093-7314E6DFE888.jpeg

I was in Lowes yesterday so took a look at the new designs for the tongs and spatula. Like the new design. Will likely get a set of these in the near future, as they are a nice upgrade.

I picked up a set of 6626’s from my local Ace. Normally not a big fan of the Weber tools, but this was the last red set and on clearance, so I thought they were cool enough for me:cool:

Attachments

• 3D1CC1CA-C623-4367-AE3A-2C8FD406DF6A.jpeg
    3D1CC1CA-C623-4367-AE3A-2C8FD406DF6A.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 16
I picked up a set of 6626’s from my local Ace. Normally not a big fan of the Weber tools, but this was the last red set and on clearance, so I thought they were cool enough for me:cool:
I got that set a long time ago (not on discount!). My red spatula has already disappeared, but the better half of that is that "sausage" or hot dog tongs. I LOVE that thing as it works like a charm.

Great find landing that. I don't know anywhere else besides Ace that carried it.

EDIT:

Oh, $35 for just that in black on Amazon :rolleyes:.

It is my birthday today. I guess I was destined to be a CPA since I spend my birthday doing taxes and extending them every year. Still, we took a short time-out for a brief celebration. My older son got me the new Weber Precision spatula. Since I already have the older model (and at least two other even earlier versions of Weber spatulas:D) I was able to do my own "pre-use" comparison. I have to say that it seems like newer stuff is cheaper and dumbed down - at least in a lot of grills these days. Well, thankfully when it comes to this new spatula, Weber deserves credit for raising the bar and making a VERY NICE improved spatula. The new precision one is heavier constructed, larger in size, and has cool sharp edges to make it easier to slide under your food whether from the sides or the front. Even the black handle feels a lot higher quality, and they wisely changed the little Weber logo to just engraving instead of paint that comes off when you clean it. I think it will become my go to spatula, even though I have always loved my 1980ish brown plastic handled one.

Jon Birthday.jpeg
Jon Birthday Weber Spatula.jpeg

Yah, that spatula looks great. I hate BDay parties though.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Hey Jon, I bet you couldn't resist using the Weber spatula to scoop out a slice of that cake????

Yeah, I am for shoveling out big servings! That stuff is homemade Mississippi mud cake my wife cooked up for me today:smilekettle:

HDWIC said that the tongs Mike recommended are much easier to wash so I’ve switched to them as my primary tongs.
Thanks Mike, happy wife, more I can spend on BBQ crap.

Back