Tomorrow I'm goin' in: Rack of Angus Beef Center Cut Back Ribs

Cooking them right now?
What time did you start at?
'Bout 1100 hrs EST was the starting time. Time is now 1405 hrs. Temp fluctuates 'tween 235F-300F and again, it's a bit of finagling to keep it below 300F. Takes some effort but the ribs look good. Lying flat on the grate, the one side away from the basket has shrunken down about 1/2 inch on the bone exposing it. The other side none, no shrinkage. So I rotated the slab and we'll see what happens with shrinkage on the other side where no bone has been exposed.

Now meat temp as measured by my new Thermapen Mk4 is between 152 - 156F depending on placement at or from the center of the rack. Elapsed time around 3 1/4 hours. Lid temperature around 260F.

Last edited:
Time at 4 hours and the ribs refuse to separate. Meat temps at 154-156F depending on probe placement. Perhaps foiling at this point?!?!?!??!??! And trap some moisture for steam and tenderness.

If the meat has come up and bones are now showing and the temp is around 160 you can foil if you want to.....It speeds things up for sure.
Also it should be getting nice bark hopefully....some people will choose to not foil at all, lots of smoke and bark if you do that.

One of my dino beef rib cooks. Not my best at all, the meat was pretty fatty but it did taste good for sure.

Four and a half hours, perhaps ready for saucing and foiling?!?!?!?!

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 11
I think they look really good.
The angus flavor is really nice, I like it in the steaks we get up north.
You need to get them to eating temperature for sure. It's almost 4 I would wrap them probably but its hard to say I am not there.
If you do not they will become very dark in colour.
The meat will still pull back farther as the fat renders and it will get more colour to it too.....

This is what I am saying..it will take a really long time to finish if you don't wrap it.
I like paper the best but foil worked for me for years.
Put a little bit of something wet in there, it will help. Wrap them tight ish.....kinda and you can get the heat up if you want to the cook to go faster.
Starting at 11 and eating beef ribs by 6 is a tricky one.
Good luck, you know when they are done I hope....?.....

LOL.....good luck finishing the cook, I won't be around now for a while. I have a feeling an hour won't be enough time but who knows.
Post up pics and what you thought of it if you can when finished....it would be nice to see the final results.

On my 22 inch (EDIT) Kettle I'll use two char baskets with slightly less than half full of lit charcoal for a 1.5 - 2 hour cook. The top vent fully opened (maybe less) with the bottom at about 1/8 opened - after reading all of the posts to my inquiries. 250F to 325F..
A bit late on this one. However, I agree with @Bob Correll . Those ribs need time to render-to-tender.
I did a 4-Bone plate the other week and they took 7hrs.
On the kettle? The snake may well be the way to go, or the SnS packed to the gunwhales with briqs.
Edit: I see you don't have a SnS. Snake would have been the way to go.

Last edited:
Must have had a bad showing on the ribs????
Haven't heard back or pics or anything.
Maybe he had to go away for a bit?

I was trying to give him a few ideas without telling him how I would do it, but his cook went from 2 hours to somewhere over 6.5...

At the six hour point the ribs were sauced and eaten. Although they tasted good they could have used another hour of cooking.

Last edited:

Back