Tomahawks on the 14" WSM

Jepprey P

TVWBB Fan
The family got me a couple of tomahawk steaks for Father's Day, so after being inspired by B.A. Poole's hanging tomahawk post, decided to try that method out on the 14" WSM.

They were over 2.5lb. each.

8.jpg

Cooked them at 250 degrees for an hour or so with pecan wood chunks.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Finished them up on the tao charcoal burner with GrillGrates.

11.jpg

Flame grilled action here:
They came out perfect and will definitely do this again.

12.jpg

Those look amazing. What is the jet fan looking thing in the bottom of your WSM?
Thanks, JimK.

It's the Hunsaker "Vortex" diffuser plate (https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/weber-modifications/products/14-5-wsm-vortex-plate).

It doesn't spin, but supposedly directs airflow in a manner that evens out the heat from the thermal rise for even heat cooking. Considering that the steaks were almost touching the plate, I'd say it works!

It's reasonably priced, so I bought the diffuser when I bought Hunsaker's rib hanger for the 14" WSM.

Awesome!!! They look great. Well executed cook.

Grab some post oak the next time you cook them. See how that compares to pecan. I do love pecan.

To me it's a great price. I cannot elude the $15.99 per pound I am forced to pay.....
Quality is the key thou, my price is triple A, I guess you would call it choice. Prime is only a tad more or sometimes the same price.

Back