Today's the day 18.5 or 22.5?

I'm torn I think the 18.5 will be more than enough but a voice in the back of my mind keeps telling me I'll be sorry if I don't get the 22.5. For the most part it's gonna be just for the wife and myself. I do want to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving and we usually have a big bird 15 - 18 lbs. Someone help me make up my mind. I want some ribs for the super bowl.

Go with the classic size and don't look back.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

B, Somebody, or many somebodies, are sure to tell you to get the 22 because you'll regret it when you need the extra space. I have one 18, a wife and three kids, and have never needed more space. I cook for crowds, guests, and just us, and have more than enough space. And, every time you cook for just you and your wife, which you likely will 5 or more to 1 compared to any time for a larger group, you'll have to use more charcoal for the 22, wasting dollars every time. I say, save the bucks, get the 18, and don't look back. I never have, but that's just my two cents of simply sensibility. Enjoy whichever you choose; your food and flavors will never be the same.

It usually seems that the smoker one buys is the one they are happy with. It's very rare that someone seems to be disappointed. This probably isn't helping you in any way. Sorry. If you have a chance to see them that might help. I hate to throw anything else in the mix, but there is always the smokey joe mod that alot of people are doing that actually seems to hold a good ammount of meat. Just know that you can't go wrong either way! Go with what you feel is right for you and get that thing fired up!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

B, I have the 18.5 and am very happy with it. I also have a 22.5 kettle and can convert it to a big smoker. If you have a kettle or other cooker and are sure that you will not enter comps then I say go for the 18.5. If on the other hand this is your only cooker and/or you may try comps, then I would go for the 22. Yah it uses more fuel, and I don't have one, but there are times in special circumstances I wish that I did, or used to before I purchased my middle extention for the Kettle.

Mark

I have been grilling on gas my whole adult life. This will be my only charcol means of cooking. But there's nothing I can cook on a 22 that I can't cook on an 18, right. I just can't cook as much of it, right? I'm about 75% sure it's gonna be the 18. Just want to make sure everything can bec ooked on it. Beer can chicken, 2 or 3 racks of ribs, brisket, big turkey. There is a grill above the water pan in both models right? Both grills can bu used to cook on right? This would be so much easier If I could actually find them in a store. Home Depot had some Webers the performer I think but no bullet smokers.

OK 18 it is, I need a chimney and an thermometer probe. The new WSM has a therm in the lid. Did I miss anything? I want to order everything at once. I'll use the amazon link at the top of the forums.

You'll do fine with the 18. I don't even own a 22, though it was my baby for so long. I still think.. goodness.. this is HUGE.

you have charcoal? chunks? good mitts, something to pull food? grate brush?

you have charcoal? chunks? good mitts, something to pull food? grate brush?

Charcoal I won't order I can get that at Sams club. Mitts and grate brush I can pick up cheap at lowes or somewhere. What do i need to pull food? I just assumed I'd slide it onto a tray. Not sure where I'll find wood chunks for smoking though.

well if you have something on the lower grate, you have to lift it out. Some people just use plastic food prep gloves, some use giant tongs -like ice tongs.. a giant fork.

Like you say.. order what you can and have it all shipped. the other things i listed was just a checklist.

Lowe's Home Depot, et al may have that stuff still on the shelves, but up here near chicago most of that stuff is put away until spring. you may have to ask or go to a smaller store like an Ace Hardware.

The WSM has a thermometer, yes. Are most people happy with it? I am totally glad that I have a Maverick remote 2 prong. I love it. The only thing that I would get to replace it is the new Maverick remote which is coming out soon. If you've been gassin you probably have the other stuff you need, ? instant read therm? Get some GOOD insulated gloves. Welders gloves work sometimes. The door is hot, the grates are hot, everything is hot when the WSM is cookin. Oh don't forget the beer, well probably not from Amazon, dang!

Mark

I have both an 18 and 22" WSM's. I use the 18.5" for almost everything. You can cook at least 6 racks of ribs on the 18. I have had a 16lb brisket and a 20lb turkey in it at separate times. The 22 is great but I have only used it twice since I have owned it and I use the 18 at least 2 times a week. The 22 is a charcoal hog. If I am cooking for a huge crown I use the 22 otherwise it just kind of sits.

Get a chimney and I recommend a good thermometer. I have the maverick ET-732. Works great. Good luck with your decision and post some pics soon!

B, good choice on the 18"! I have cooked for 10-12 people and never came close to utilizing all the space on mine. As far as supplies go, a good thermometer, a pair of welding gloves has really came in handy, a chimney, and a camera with a large sd memory card!(cause if we don't see the pics, the smoke never happened!) You may find (at a later date) that you need some other supplies, but these will get you off to a good start.
Good luck, you won't believe how easy these things are to use!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Go with the 22, you can cook whole slabs of ribs with no problem and I imagine a full packer will fit a lot easier on a 22 then a 18. Your going to have the smoker for the next 15-20 years, just take the plunge you won't regret it.

I bought the 22", because I asked myself "When have you ever wished for less space on a grill?"
The problem is that this does not apply on the WSM in the same manner, as you don not need separate space for direct/indirect heat. I would have been just as happy with the 18". But the 22" sure does look impressive.
icon_smile.gif

Darn my order won't ship together. My WSM, book & apple wood chunks will arrive between jan 27 & feb 1 and the chimney between jan 27 & feb 2.
icon_confused.gif
Oh well I'll be
wsmsmile8gm.gif
soon enough. Hope the site got credit for the amazon order!

Originally posted by B Brant:
Hope the site got credit for the amazon order!

B, I got a big credit on my Amazon account today. Thanks, Ha Ha Ha. not!!!
Congrats on your purchase. Now get some sleep, that first overnighter is just around the corner.

Happy Smokin' sooooonest.

Mark

I have a 22, love it but will get a 18 this summer. I do use more fuel in the 22 than my borrowed 18 and for smaller cooks (i.e. family and/or some friends) the 18 is fine. I do cook for "customers" and the 22 gets plenty of use for that.

Back