Today's the day 18.5 or 22.5?

I think the 18 will be fine for what you need. If you get to a point where you don't have enough room, you can upgrade later.

I cooked 42 lbs (4 butts) of pork this past week, so it can hold a lot of meat. Pick up some rib racks if you are cooking too many racks to fit laying flat.

I am getting a 22" to go along with my 18 for comps.

Uggh, placed my order on saturday, apple wood chips, a book "Low & Slow: Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lessons", starter cubes,a chimney and the WSM. They're gonna ship someday in 3 shipments. So far the Chimney has been shipped.
icon_frown.gif

Shipment 3 of 3
Shipped
Delivery Estimate: February 2, 2011
Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Shipment 1 of 3
Shipping Soon
Delivery Estimate: January 27, 2011 - February 1, 2011
Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18 1/2 Inch Smoker

Shipment 2 of 3
Shipping Soon
Delivery Estimate: January 27, 2011 - February 1, 2011

Low & Slow: Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lessons
Gary Wiviott, Colleen Rush

Weber-Stephen 7417 FireStarters Lighter Cubes
Sold by: DependableResource

Weber 17005 Apple Wood Chunks, 5-Pound

Shipment 1 of 3
Shipped
Delivery Estimate: January 28, 2011
Tracking Information:
Ship Carrier: UPS
Tracking ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Latest Event: Lewisberry PA
Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit - Jan 26, 2011 3:17:35 PM
See Complete Tracking History

Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18 1/2 Inch Smoker

YES!!!! FINALLY! If it's in Lewisberry, PA like it says I should have it tomorrow if UPS can make it up my snow covered driveway. lol

Forgive me, I'm like a little kid that just got a new toy. Pictures later! lol
Shame I'm at work.
Ship Carrier: UPS
Tracking ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Latest Event: Muncy PA
Delivered - Jan 27, 2011 10:58:00 AM

I think you are going to be VERY hapy with the 18.

So the next big question should be, 'What's the first meat going to be??'. I would recommend a BRITU just like Chris has in the cooking topics portion of the site. Excellent way to get the feet wet and also turn out a pretty decent product.

Russ

I was thinking baby back ribs, had to search out britu recipe, printed it out. Now I just have to figure out what to cook my wife, she wants a brisket. But I'm not ready for that yet. I'm thinking she's getting a fattie or maybe a pinwheel. I can't wait for saturday.

B, ribs sound good for you. If your wife wants brisket why not go with a smaller beef roast. You can use the same rub and temp as the ribs kinda a practice brisket run makes you both happy. Course it's none of my business.
Congrats on the new candy.

Mark

Well.. To be perfectly honest, brisket isn't really any more difficult to cook than ribs. Definately takes longer but no more difficult.

It is a bit more difficult prepping a brisket but not anything terrible.

Russ

I've been reading about cooking briskets all morning (slow workday) and I'm gonna stop by sams for the ribs, if they have one I'm gonna get that too. Been reading on how to pick a brisket too. This forum is amazing, it has everything.

One problem, my chimney hasn't arrived, I saw them at sears for 15.00, think I'll pick one up. Guess it can't hurt to have 2, right?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey, BB. Right choice getting the 18.5 IMO. To use that much space, I often cook multiple meats (some selection experience and the ability to juggle is good
icon_razz.gif
). You really have to have a BIG need to normally need a 22.

You will probably get some use from 2 chimneys, but make sure they are the Weber chimney (or one comparably constructed). The cheaper chimneys will work, but can be hazardous to handle unless modified (hot coals are NOT what you want to have sudden slipping your way!).

I recently tried rolling (coiling) a rib rack and probably will never do anything else if I need to do multiple racks. I think the rib rack is a pain unless you cut the ribs in two (Weber rib rack). Either 2 flat on the grate or roll them with 2 skewers (in an X) to keep them spaced right. Each rack of ribs has 2 skewers in an X to keep them rolled and the ends from touching.

Rich

Having 2 chimneys becomes convenient at times. Lowe's & HD sell the weber brand. I have used the knock offs in the past and won't do that again. They don't hold as much CC, they get hot, the paint burns off with the first use, and they rust really badly.

In a pinch, they will work, but I wouldn't pay $15 for them. I think at lowes/HD the weber chimney is $19.

B, I think I must disagree with Rich on the chimney choice. I have 2 generic and one Weber. I like the generic because the vent holes are round. The Weber are narrow oblong slits running vertically. The reason I like the round vent holes is because I add paper to my chimney to get it going good. I know everyone has their own method but after putting the shredded paper in the bottom and lighting it I usually tear strips of news paper and slide them thru the vent holes to keep the fire hot. So much easier than the slits on the Weber. On the other hand the Weber is bigger. Oh, I have 3 chimneys and am glad I do. I routinely use 2 for coals and one to transport cold coals from my stash to the cooker.

Good luck with your cook. I'm betting we will get a full description of the process and the good eats to follow.
icon_biggrin.gif

Mark

Originally posted by mk evenson:
B, I think I must disagree with Rich on the chimney choice. I have 2 generic and one Weber. I like the generic because the vent holes are round. The Weber are narrow oblong slits running vertically. The reason I like the round vent holes is because I add paper to my chimney to get it going good. I know everyone has their own method but after putting the shredded paper in the bottom and lighting it I usually tear strips of news paper and slide them thru the vent holes to keep the fire hot. So much easier than the slits on the Weber. On the other hand the Weber is bigger. Oh, I have 3 chimneys and am glad I do. I routinely use 2 for coals and one to transport cold coals from my stash to the cooker.

Good luck with your cook. I'm betting we will get a full description of the process and the good eats to follow.
icon_biggrin.gif

Mark

Valid point, I use my performer ignition
icon_smile.gif

The method of a couple paper towels sprayed with Pam (or a few splatters of veggie oil) works pretty well without the ash of paper. And with newspaper, i'm not particularly crazy about the newer papers, inks, and plastics in them.

On size, for reference, i seem to rememeber a full Weber chimney is about 90 or so Kingsfords

Ditto. I've only once had to add newspaper. But basically I prefer the oil on paper towel -- hotter, more intense and hardly any ash.

My generic is steel and apparently like Mark's (round holes), but the handle required that I put two screws through top and bottom of the handle into the wood took keep it from spinning. Otherwise a chimney of hot charcoal that started to the side, would slip to the bottom with my hand directly above -- NOT pleasant. The Weber is also bigger and I've found the the generic would not hold enough briquettes for all uses.

Rich

Back