Today, Feb 9 2023 is national pizza day

You have more energy then me after a long day at work and an upcoming 8:30 meeting with Asia. Go Dan! Hoo!

Anyone have any idea how February 9th was determined to be “national pizza day”?

I did a quick search but nada.

I've been thinking about doing a steak in the Versa...my Dad used to broil steaks indoors when I was growing up. I was looking at CI pans and see that Ooni has a dual-sided pan for their ovens. Ever think about a steak in the Ooni, @DanHoo?

1675987240929.png

No idea. My kid came home from school and asked if we were having pizza on national pizza day.
My daughter came home from school with the same request.

Friday night is usually pizza night in our house, so no dice.

Looking good for 2024 though.

dough took about 20 mins to prep, and went in the oven for proofing at 110F

Edit for the record: the dough was started at 4.22pm and the first pies were in the oven before 7pm, so this really is a quick turn around crust.

The dough has sugar and oil and AP flour with a healthy dose of ADY. This is a lower temp cook so it a good one for a lower temp cook in the electric hot box.20230209_203241.jpg

Last edited:
dough took about 20 mins to prep, and went in the oven for proofing at 110F

The dough has sugar and oil and AP flour with a healthy dose of ADY. This is a lower temp cook so it a good one for a lower temp cook in the electric hot box.View attachment 66150
Wow...1/4 Cup EVOO? That's about 15% baker's percentage, if my numbers are right. I've never done more than 3%.

120g = 1C flour (360g tot)
216g = 1C EVOO (54g tot)
54/360 = 0.15

Seems like a lot. It's going to be interesting to hear how this works! Also, for the record, is that ADY or instant? NVM

Last edited:
My pizza was more interesting.

Roast tomato and garlic sauce.
Mozzarella, Fontina, chevre,
Mushrooms and at the end, prosciutto.
Topped with pecorino Romano

Oven temp 550F
Stone temp about 530F.

20230209_191902.jpg20230209_192844.jpg20230209_193630.jpg
20230209_194946.jpg20230209_195116.jpg

How was the one with the EVOO? I like the softness that the oil imparts but haven't ventured beyond 3%.

EDIT: I did one in a pan once and it had a fried texture to the bottom. One of your pictures (the last one) reminds me of that.

Last edited:
Wow...1/4 Cup EVOO? That's about 15% baker's percentage, if my numbers are right. I've never done more than 3%.

120g = 1C flour (360g tot)
216g = 1C EVOO (54g tot)
54/360 = 0.15

Seems like a lot. It's going to be interesting to hear how this works! Also, for the record, is that ADY or instant? NVM

Ed,

All of the ingredients were measured, not weighed.

I've made this dough for a long, long time and have had consistent results when cooking it at lower temps.

However, since the geek in me started using 00 flour in blue bags, red bags and weighing out the flour salt and yeast I decided to at least weigh the flour after I measured it. I was surprised that 3 cups weighed in at 455g, which is 151g per cup.

Expecting it to be close to 120g as you listed, I put it through a sifter, measured it again ( still came out 3 cups ) and kept going.

Anyway, the dough was good for a short turn around dough. Not excellent but the kids and I were well fed.

Last edited:
How was the one with the EVOO? I like the softness that the oil imparts but haven't ventured beyond 3%.

My pizza was the last. It was a thinner crust and I added even more EVOO to the rolled out crust underneath the tomato sauce.

It was crunchy and tasty, but not as good as ones cooked on the Ooni, or the WSK.

Good enough for a weeknight with short notice.

I suppose I have to pretend I am in a different time zone ;)
Only now saw the thread and it is the 10th here :)

My pizza was the last. It was a thinner crust and I added even more EVOO to the rolled out crust underneath the tomato sauce.

It was crunchy and tasty, but not as good as ones cooked on the Ooni, or the WSK.

Good enough for a weeknight with short notice.
Thanks so much, Dan!

I do, too, helps with the gum line, I find, but it also tastes so good! I don't nerd out over food or recipes, but I do over pizza, for some reason. I appreciate your input!

Thanks so much, Dan!

I do, too, helps with the gum line, I find, but it also tastes so good! I don't nerd out over food or recipes, but I do over pizza, for some reason. I appreciate your input!

I love pizza Ed, so I enjoy reading of different ways to make pizza, and I'm happy to share what I learn.

A big plus on the dough above is just about everyone has the ingredients, and for the entry price of a pizza stone one can make pretty good home made pizza.

Moving up to 00 flour, longer ferment times, much higher heat, hotter stone temp, hotter surrounding air temp or an overhead flame can become more work and it opens the door to some hard failures, however it also opens the door to some really good home made za.

Did I just chase a rabbit down a hole ?

Ed,

All of the ingredients were measured, not weighed.

I've made this dough for a long, long time and have had consistent results when cooking it at lower temps.

However, since the geek in me started using 00 flour in blue bags, red bags and weighing out the flour salt and yeast I decided to at least weigh the flour after I measured it. I was surprised that 3 cups weighed in at 455g, which is 151g per cup.

Expecting it to be close to 120g as you listed, I put it through a sifter, measured it again ( still came out 3 cups ) and kept going.

Anyway, the dough was good for a short turn around dough. Not excellent but the kids and I were well fed.
I got that number from a quick Google search, and I found an online calculator for EVOO:

So using 455g for flour, that would be 54/455 = 12%...room to experiment and good info to know! Again, thanks!

I learned a new term the other day...invidious comparison eating...I will never tell you how to make your pizza.

Back