To buy, or not to buy. . .

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
That's the question I have for you today... Do you generally use store bought sauces and/or rubs? Or do you tend to make your own? Or do you use a store brand as a base sauce and doctor it up?

I'm a big fan of using whatever tastes good. If you like a certain store bought sauce or rub, go for it. I started out using name brands, and after a while wanted to add or take away certain flavors. I experimented (and ruined) all kinds of sauces and rubs, and now I have a few personal creations that I think are great. My best advice is to try a lot of things and determine what you like.

Brian,

I always make my own rubs from recipes I find on the net. I think it is more fun that way and you can tweak them to you and your family's liking. I have never made any BBQ sauces other then eastern Carolina sauce mainly because it takes a lot of time and energy to make tomatoe based sauces and I am extremely lazy when it comes to Q. Carolina sauces whether eastern or western are stupidly simple to make and compliments pork nicely. You can even mop with it if you like.
Just my 2 cents neighbor.

I do both. I have my rub which I love. I'll make a big batch, do a couple of big cooks, then I'm back to nothing. That's when I run to the store. Actually, Lowes has started carrying a bunch of interesting rubs and sauces for the season. More often than not I cook for the practice, not necessarily for creating a meal. The fact that I end up with a dinner is a side benefit of pursuing my hobby. On those days, I'll buy whatever's in reach.

Brett

I do both. Depends on what's on sale. Sometimes I see a sale on spices at my local Hispanic store and I will get what I need to make my own.

I've been buying so far. Don't know if I'll ever feel up to making my own sauce, but once I get a better feel for tastes I like, I may try my hand at making my own rubs.

I just buy it all. Sauce and rubs. I have a few of my favorites but whenever I'm in KC I stop by the KC BBQ Store and pick up a new rub and sauce every time along with my couple of favorites.

Last edited:
I buy some rubs but often make my own and save money on spices by buying the big containers at Sam's. They are MUCH cheaper than buying the tiny cans and bottles at the grocery store.

I keep big containers of granulated garlic, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and black peppercorns on hand.

Sauce is either homemade No. 5 or, if lazy, Stubb's.

There are only a few store sauces that do not contain high fructose corn syrup. So I usually make my own.
Make my own rubs too.

I do both. Lately I have been making more of my own so I can control the amount of salt that is in it.

I almost always make my own. One thing that can help save money when buying herbs/spices is to find a local restaurant supply store. Prices are usually at or below club store prices and they come in large(r) quantities. Also, you can sometimes find some interesting things like smoked salt or smoked sugar that are simply not available at the clubs or normal grocery stores, giving you the opportunity to change things up a bit.

I agree with most of the replies so far, you can get the basics at Sams or Costco for MUCH cheaper. Making rubs and sauces are easy, you just need the ingredients and a few websites.

I almost always make my own. One thing that can help save money when buying herbs/spices is to find a local restaurant supply store. Prices are usually at or below club store prices and they come in large(r) quantities. Also, you can sometimes find some interesting things like smoked salt or smoked sugar that are simply not available at the clubs or normal grocery stores, giving you the opportunity to change things up a bit.

Steve, since you live in Western WA, I assume you've heard of Market Spice at Pike Place Market . I have the luxury of working in downtown Seattle, so I buy ALL my spices and seasonings there. The cost is up to 90% less than store-bought spices and the quality is higher. Their selection in amazing and if there is something specific you want, just ask. If they don't have it, they'll get it for you (usually). Yesterday, I bought 2 oz. of granulated onion and an ounce of powdered ginger. The total cost was about $2.50. In the stores, the ginger alone would have run me $4. The only caveat is the spices and herbs are dispensed in little plastic baggies instead of glass or plastic jars. I found a deal on Amazon a while back for 2 dozen glass spice jars for $10.95 and grabbed it. I have been spoiled and will never buy grocery store herbs and spices again.

I started off buying sauces but using rubs found on this site. Then moved to doctoring up store bought sauces. Now for the most part I make my sauces and rubs.
However that being said, I am smoking 2 butts tonight but don't really feel like making my sauce so tomorrow I will serve with some Dr'd up Sweet Baby Rays

Steve, since you live in Western WA, I assume you've heard of Market Spice at Pike Place Market . I have the luxury of working in downtown Seattle, so I buy ALL my spices and seasonings there. The cost is up to 90% less than store-bought spices and the quality is higher. Their selection in amazing and if there is something specific you want, just ask. If they don't have it, they'll get it for you (usually). Yesterday, I bought 2 oz. of granulated onion and an ounce of powdered ginger. The total cost was about $2.50. In the stores, the ginger alone would have run me $4. The only caveat is the spices and herbs are dispensed in little plastic baggies instead of glass or plastic jars. I found a deal on Amazon a while back for 2 dozen glass spice jars for $10.95 and grabbed it. I have been spoiled and will never buy grocery store herbs and spices again.

Thanks for the reminder Ron - I was actually down at Pike's Place a month or so ago and saw Market Spice but didn't make it in. Its now at the top of my list of things to do on my next trip in to Seattle.

Back