tips for smoke n sear

Jim Mathews

TVWBB Member
I just received my smoke-n-sear for my 26.75 inch kettle. Website and videos claim it can hold 250 for 6-8 hours. This product also offers a "no questions asked" 30 day money back guarantee. I want to try a few cooks, see if it works as advertised. If so, I will keep it. If not, I will send it back and get either a WSM or Kamado Joe.

Anyone using this thing? Do you like it? Any tips, and mistakes to avoid?

Thanks.

I have heard good things about the Slow N Sear. I haven't used one, but my advice is to preheat (boil) the water in order to preserve as much fuel as possible. If you use cool tap water the fuel will have to heat up the water and will cost you some fuel.

I have heard good things about the Slow N Sear. I haven't used one, but my advice is to preheat (boil) the water in order to preserve as much fuel as possible. If you use cool tap water the fuel will have to heat up the water and will cost you some fuel.

Sorry, meant slow-n-sear. Yes, they say to be sure to use hot water.

If I didn't have enough toys I rarely use I might get one. I do have a smokenator. It holds temps like a champ but was a pita to reload. The smoke in sear looks like a better product to me. I think I usually ran the smokenator with the bottom open just a sliver and maybe the top vent half way. I'm sure they have great instructions on this.

One problem I had with KBB was the fire would snuff itself out with ash. I'm not sure what type of charcoal they say to use, but I might try using something that produces less even though I'm a huge KBB fan.

Good luck!

From the looks of this it's essentially a stainless baffle with it's own water reservoir? Do I have the gist?

Not really an issue with the real estate on a 26er, but I can see where the 'wall of water' could definitely help keep the heat segregated away from the food.

I have seen little fuel burn difference from using tap water or boiling water. I pour mine in before the coals to prevent super heating the SNS and water violently splashing out when pouring in. It does not take long for that stainless steel to heat up.

I've had one since before the regular production days. Mine is for the 22" kettle. It works as advertised. I have used it quite a bit. I've done ribs, chicken and steaks using low and slow, higher heat method for chicken and full out sear for steaks. The water reservoir really does the job. As others have pointed out be careful to use only hot water and don't overfill.

Opening the lid too much will require quite a bit of vent adjusting. It is not as rock solid as a BBQ Guru, but is probably as good as I've experienced on a kettle without one. On long cooks you'll see about a 30 degree fluctuation from quick lid lifts for mopping and such, but it does settle back down. Also a slight upward temperature creep is common as more coals light over a long cook and you will need to watch the water level. It is a little different so there is a learning curve. My main reason for getting one was for ribs and chicken when I'm too lazy to get out the big smoker for just one bird or a couple of baby backs. I have not done brisket or butts on it.

Back