Tips for a first time brisket smoke?

Drew

TVWBB Member
Going to be smoking my first brisket (4lbs) in a few days on my Weber Genesis Silver C with a amazeo smoking tube. Any tips?

4lbs must be a small section of flat... It will cook fast, but it will likely still have a stall.. use a remote temp probe and wrap it tight in foil or paper with a splash of beef broth when it hits around 170F and start checking for tenderness when you get to 198 to 203F... Then take it out, but don't unwrap and rest for at least an hour in a cooler or warm (180F) oven. Good luck!

I cook 4-5 pounders all the time. They typically take about 6 hours, I wrap about 155 give or take and always let them rest about 2 hours in a cooler. They are good and the kids absolutely inhale them.

Edit: although, I’ve never done one on a gasser, only charcoal and pellet

I tried one once a long time ago on the Wolf IIRC. It was a disaster and literally came off the grill into the trash. I was so discouraged I never tried again until recently when I got the pellet grill. That one was "OK" but kinda "chewy" as I did not have the time to fully finish and rest it. I had to pull it at about 175 or so, and only had about 20 min rest. Was actually better when I rewrapped it in paper then foil and recooked it. But, by then lost something. One day I will try again only starting MUCH earlier and slower rather than "pushing" it

The lengthy cook takes some commitment. Especially for time. I have done three on my Genesis and thought all three were a great success, but have never cooked one over coals to compare.

Is it possible? Yes. But, It’s like trying to do a soufflé in a microwave, just get a proper smoker.

Back